What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Yip-PEE!

Well-Corynn has met a very important milestone today. She peed on the potty!
I know she is young but I wanted to try her on the potty training thing. It CAN be done this early with success….my Oma seems to think anyone not potty-trained by two there is either something wrong with the child or something wrong with the parent. I realize this is extreme-but if she believes that- it must have happened to her-therefore, it can be done!
Corynn always goes pooh about the same time each day (about 10-15 minutes after she has eaten.) When she started making those grunting noises-I stopped my dish-doing, hurled her under my arm, bent my head low, and sprinted (I would have made a quarterback jealous-especially considering my current “weakened” state…) up the stairs to the potty. Getting that little seat on the toilet and her stupid tights, onesie, and diaper all unfastened was more challenging then I thought-I lost major time there. I put her on the potty (but the pooh was already in the diaper! ) I have only tried her on the potty once before and she would straighten herself up stiff until her bum slid off the seat…she hated it. But-this time, I gave her a book to look at-which had an Indian on it-which led me to teach her the “Indian call”. Each proved a worthy distraction….because she was STAYING there! The whole time I hugged her, “Yeah!”-ed at her, and clapped. In a few seconds I heard it-the magnificent sound of liquid crashing against liquid! She didn’t realize what she did…all she was concerned about was the book. But I heard it. I realize this doesn’t mean she will be potty-trained within the week. I do know that it is a start! And a greatly motivating start, no less! I learned one lesson though-the potty seat is now in the downstairs bathroom. (It is used as both a bathroom and a laundry room-mostly as a laundry room because there is no room to SIT on the toilet…it is only a restroom to those men who visit who can do there business in a distinctly manly way-who needs a beard when you can pee standing up?!?!?!) It is already Corynn’s cruddy room anyway, what with that being my cloth “diaper cleaning station”.


Yip-Pee!

4 comments:

Leah said...

Yeah, Corynn!!! What a big girl!

Rebecca, it can be done! John was pretty much potty-trained before his second birthday. He still has occasional accidents but I'm so glad I only have one in diapers!

Abigail said...

Yip-PEE...that is so clever, and I wish I had thought of it! Since I, like Leah, didn't want two babies in diapers at a time, I started potty-training Millie at about the same age as Corynn. Before you know it, she'll be running herself to the potty and unrolling an entire roll of t.p. into the toilet that you'll have to fish out in order to flush. Here's to a diaper-free Corynn!

(p.s. As soon as Annie puts more solid stuff into her diapers, I'm switching back to cloth, too. Since I hate scrubbing diapers in the toilet, I think I'll try to train her even earlier than I did Millie to cut down on the toilet water scrubbing period. Check up on me to hold my lazy bones accountable!)

Leah said...

What is the "Indian Call" ?

I heard an Apache war cry once, scared the crap out of me........oh I see now, great idea!

Scott M Terry said...

That was me not Leah.

Love
Scott