What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Life's A Party...

Matt had a wonderful time this week extending his birthday out from Tuesday to Sunday. His parents came over on Thursday, we spent Friday and Saturday nights at his parents' house, and had my family come over on Sunday. Today I think, the guys are planning to try to brew more beer so Leah will hopefully come and keep me company...too much testosterone is a bad thing. hehehe-we need to even it out a bit. :-) Tomorrow Zaccardo's are coming over. We have tons of leftovers (including cake)...and tomorrow I am making a fantastic Artichoke and Spinach lasagna. I like it even better than ones with meat! So much for me trying to watch what I eat...
I surely like entertaining but it a week this full sure can get me tired! Will life slow down? I doubt it....'course, maybe if it did, I would get bored!
Now that all his gifts have been opened, I can tell you the secret surprise one I made for Matt.....drum roll, please....
Flannel lined pants! I bought pants for $6.00 at Old Navy and made a flannel lining for them. He has wanted them for quite some time but they are terribly expensive pre-made. Since my machine hardly works with cotton, let alone jean fabric, I opted to buy the jeans instead of trying to make them. When he wears them (which he had for the past few days...) I feel proud to have done something to provide for his needs...specifically, warmth. I feel like he is warm because of me! I know, weird, but it gives me a good feeing inside.

Matt surprised me with the DVD for Sound of Music for Valentine's Day. He is very thoughtful because I had just mentioned that we need to get rid of our "other" movie supply and replace it with musicals and classics. He also got me some tulips in a pot. I wonder if I will be able to plant them outside?!?! Maybe I shouldn't since, who knows how long we will live here. I could always save the bulbs for our home-somewhere in the distance...although, I don't think bulbs can live that long just as bulbs. :-) I got little Rynnie Roo a helium balloon from the dollar store. The lady behind the counter said, "I have never seen one so little so excited about a balloon." She said thank you to me as soon as I handed it to her. I was so pleased.

Corynn has been terribly sick for the last few days with cough and runny nose. Probably just a cold or something but she is cranky all the time and very clingy. Last night I tried to give her medicine with a spoon and she choked so bad she could cough-or breath. She first turned red and then started to change to purple. I was really afraid but the arm trick worked. I don't know WHAT I would have done if it didn't. It really scared me- and her too...and Matt froze on the other side of the kitchen as he watched. I don't think he could move. The rest of the night I couldn't get the thought of her dying out of my head. I kept listening and woke up whenever she coughed.

I changed the bedroom around-it is SO much nicer now! More open, more convenient, and more homey! I should have thought to do it a long time ago. While I worked on it, I put Corynn in her room with a baby gate up so she could play. At first she hated it, then I came up with a brilliant plan! I changed the sheets on my bed so I took a large blanket from the bed and made a tent for her. She played in it for three hours straight! I didn't hear a peep from her! I was so excited and thrilled and amazed! I used to do that as a girl...my favorite place was under the dining room table because my mom always had tablecloths on it. As I watched Corynn, I took a trip down memory lane. I too was playing under there, feeling so big and grand-being the owner and ruler of my own place (which always seemed so BIG!) Corynn really is becoming a little girl and her babyhood is fading away. I took some pictures and will post them with this message.
I sat down and paid the bills today. Bah-humbug...but we are all caught up! That is good. I cleaned out the car-Matt will appreciate that...it is important to him to have a decluttered lifestyle. Last week I went to Aldi and spent the whole time writing down prices and weights of items I usually buy. I just need to have time to set up a spreadsheet to compare prices. This evening I may mend clothes and maybe iron while I visit with Leah. Kill two birds with one stone...two birds that have needed to die for a looooong time! :-)

Okay-enough jabber for now I suppose...I have to get Corynn up from her nap soon and I still have much to do before Matt comes home!

1 comment:

Abigail said...

my compliments to you for a great birthday idea! (as far as making the jeans themselves goes, pre-made ones with a great sale price are usually more economical anyway, and it would have been a doozy of a pain to fit homemade jeans properly without having matt model them as you worked on them.)

happy belated valentine's day!
i sure hope corynn is feeling better. some of the most anxious (and sleep-bereft) times are when baby is sick; i have empathy for you.

lastly, aldi chocolate chips, though generically branded, are lovely when eaten by the handful. err....i mean, they're lovely when appropriately used in baked goods.