What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Phew...my feet hurt, my throat is dry, but it was a success!

I am so sorry you couldn't come to the shower Abby! I was half hoping you were planning to surprise us-since you often come without warning or notice. Well, since you weren't able...here are the highlights.
I left for the church around 10:00...just to drive half way there and realize I didn't have my camera (my sister asked me to bring it to take pictures...) So I turned around but made it to the church on time. By the time I got to the church-my feet were all cut up from shoes I got on clearance for $3.00 at Walmart. I had open sore before I even started decorating. Before and after the party I walked barefoot on the cold cement-and during the party I made tiolet paper pads to stop the rubbing. Hence, my feet hurting. Samantha helped me decorate. We used the colors yellow, tealish/mint green, and light blue. The tablecloths were white with Y,G,B streamers going down the tables. We added glitter and confetti, threw a glass bowl filled with water on the table and added rubber duckies to float on top. We finished the tables with a round candle. The walls had Y,G, and B streamers and Y,G, B pearlized balloons taped on. It was pretty. Some people brought snacks-but Bob had prepared quite a spread. Wow-was there A LOT of food! We played fun games, one I made up, one I stole, and one that was inspired by a game show. The one I made up was matching baby animals with mama's. It was (oh, so originally!) called Are you My Mother? Here is a sampling....
Name the Mama to...
Cygnet...
Elver....
Spat...
Sprat....
Flapper...
Fry....
and so on.
Michelle F. won with 12 correct answers...Leah was a close second with 11.
I also had a bonus question (winner gets another prize...) that involved naming 11 animals whose babies are called "calves". The bonus prize was awarded to Jessica H.-she must have had six or seven right ones.
The one I stole was a baby race that required guests to write down a boy name starting with each letter of the alphabet. Wendy Valentine one this only because she made up the name "Yarden" for Y. I gave it to her anyway. The whole way home I tried to think of a "Y" name but I still couldn't. I guess it is a good thing I did give it to her-we might have been there all day!
The last game was an offshoot of "Win, Lose, or Draw." I made categories pertaining to babies and prenancies and....well, you know the rest. It was a good time. I'll tell you what though-I have never heard so much commotion before...I had to practically yell out the directions to the games because no one would stop and listen-and even then I had to say them once or twice because inevitably SOMEONE didn't hear the first time. Hence, my sore throat.
Elizabeth got beautiful gifts including two homemade blankets...one crocheted and one made with flannel. I too, will be making her a blanket. I handed out fabric squares and a permenant fabric marker and had people sign them and/or write messages. With these squares and some of other colors, I will be making a quilt for Samuel. My first ever. I hope it turns out nice. My only problem is that many of the women used the whole square-not accounting for the seam allowances. I am not sure how I will fix that. She received some very cute outfits, toys, and even got a pamper basket full of stuff for HER. She also loved her "church gift" of a changing table. She had lots of people come, including some out-of towners and a neighbor friend of Elizabeths'. Personally, I am very excited about Jenny (the neighbor) and hope to do some things with her this summer. She is SUPER sweet. She is probably in her 30's, she has three little stair-step girls, and like I said, is super sweet. I hope Elizabeth starts to spend more time with her too. It lasted from 12-3:30...but since I did it I was there for 2 hours before and two hours afterwards. I think Elizabeth enjoyed herself...Hence, the success of the day! Unfortunately, I didn't bring my digital camera but I used a whole roll of film so when I get them developed I will post some for you.
So, that is the not-so-eloquently put details of the shower. I hope I didn't bore you. Now that THAT is done...I have another party to plan! I don't even want to think about THAT! Anyway-I am bushed. Hope you liked the virtual baby shower! :-)

3 comments:

Abigail said...

i'd hoped to be spirited away, too, even though i knew 'twas impossible due to john's saturday class in rochester. i am so glad, though, to read your account of it and look forward to the pictures.

Yanni!
or you can cheat and use jewish spelling for josef--yosef.

i'm hopelessly unable to answer the baby animals one, though. it sounds like everyone had a jolly time! (and doesn't the noise factor make for frustrating direction-giving? when i tried to explain game rules for my sister-in-law sarah's shower, we were a small, noisy group in a big, booming gym, and i reverted to teacher-yelling.)

so hurrah for the success, hurrah for the child God coninues to keep safe, and hurrah for a sweet girl and clean-shaven husband to come hope to with aches from top to bottom!

(thanks for the trip...)

Matt said...

who says I'm clean-shaven?

Leah said...

Abby,

I thought of Yanni also! Y was the only letter I had left when Wendy won! Oh well! We had a great time! Elizabeth was beaming the WHOLE time! We missed you!