What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, January 21, 2008

Three



The number of degrees it is outside at this very moment.

Bitter, frigid, ridiculously cold.

Brrrr.

The windows have a layer of frost on them, on the inside of the house, that the children have enjoyed drawing pictures on.

The bitter wind shimmies its way into the house, squeezing under the doorways and sliding through the window cracks determined to nip our fingers and toes with its frozen breath. It plays about our head, mocking us and our measley sweaters, knowing that it can even blow through the holes of knit.

The bird tree has been plucked bare of its nourishment and needs to be restocked-but I can't bear the thought of opening the door and stepping outside!

The laundry needs to be done-but I can't fathom heading to the cold garage to put some clothing in a wash cycle.

I cranked the heat up in the basement to 80 degrees...but it still hasn't turned on, an hour later.

Hope. Trust. Perseverence. Patience.

Spring will come, and with it the sun. With it, warmth. Only a little while longer....I keep trying to convince myself. To no avail.

A wonderful diversion keeps my mind from glazing over. Three Narcissus bulbs stretching heavenward, a lovely shade of green-reminscent of days long ago.

Yes-while the snow falls outside, and the bitterwinds howl us to sleep at night and hole us within our wallpapered cells during light-I will think about the green that promises to come with spring.

I will think about the magnificently colored coats these lovely, dignified green ladies will don in a day soon to come. I wonder if they should be sunny yellow or a pure, clean, fresh white?? Time will tell...
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Andie said...

BRRRRR!!! I thought our teens were bad. I totally understand trying to hide from the cold. I realized as I lay in bed last night that all of me was nice and warm, except my head. There was a cold draft coming through the window at the head of our bed. BRRR!!!

Hope you stay warm-
Blessings-
Andie

Mom2fur said...

It's pretty cold here, too, but not THAT cold. OMgosh, I felt so bad for those football players in Wisconsin yesterday (go, Giants!)--the windchill was 24 below zero. OUCH!
I think I might have some leftover bulbs I can try to 'force' like your flowers. Isn't it nice to see green in the middle of winter? One year, I gave my mother an amaryllis. It was just a stump that looked like nothing...until we walked in the kitchen one day to find these huge red flowers on it!
Stay warm!

Tracy said...

It's cold here as well. YIKES!! There was ice on the inside of the dining room windows this morning!

I FINALLY got around to submitting my picture!

Elizabeth said...

It sounds like your FREEZING!! I live in Scottsdale Arizona and we feel like we are freezing, ( its only about 40 here......) I am sorry!!!

:)

Stange Family said...

you are a very good writer. I enjoyed reading your posts!