What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, January 12, 2009

Choice Silver and Apples of Gold


Mouth opens in haste; words uttered without care, without thought. "I'm RIGHT. They need to understand!" Pride. Self-defense. Anger.

How easy it is to become angry when unkindness is directed at you! How easy it is to form rebuttals of mind and have them spill from you in the heat of the moment. To pay evil for evil. To fight for your honor in haste, so that it might not be lost. Only to realize deep regret afterward?

Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words? there is more hope of a fool than of him.

How many times this past year did I feel the anguish of a tongue ill-used? Countless. How many prayers were offered up that my tongue might be reigned in and gentleness flow from it? How many times did I ache with my own utter inability? My own enslavement.

Be STILL.

Listen to HIM and the heart words He gives you.



What are the motives behind a hasty retort?

To protect your honor? To HIM be all the glory and honor.

To return evil for evil? The wicked is snared by the transgression of his lips: but the just shall come out of trouble.

To have the last word? In the multitude of words sin is not lacking,
But he who restrains his lips is wise.


Because you are so wise? The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.



Slow.



Quiet your heart so that you might hear.

The heart of the righteous studieth to answer: but the mouth of the wicked poureth out evil things.

He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.

Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

Be sure that your words are not self-gratifying, but God-glorifying.

The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the Lord.

The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the Lord; but the words of the pure are pleasant words.

And then, after the quiet study of your own intentions and the prayerful seeking of a god-glorifying response, you must discern how best to convey the message.

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.

A soft answer turneth away wrath:but grievous words stir up anger.

Perhaps so many recent opportunities have arisen in my life that require type to be lived out in life not simply on computer screen because the Lord wants me to practice up.

To bridle my tongue and polish my heart.

So that one day, I will find joy in unexpected places. Places where it has never before been found. My mouth.

A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in season, how good it is!

3 comments:

Quinne said...

Hi Rebecca :) Thank you for the encouragement this provided today! I am ever striving to be gentle with my words when I am frustrated or upset...

I loved this: "To bridle my tongue and polish my heart."

Love and hugs, Q

Robin in New Jersey said...

Thank you for the reminder. I needed it.

Abigail said...

How thoughtful of you to place all these scriptures here in one convenient location for me! :)

A constant desire...