What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, February 20, 2012

Sappy: Maple Syrupping Pt. 1


The end of February is the beginning of syrup season.

Or at least, the time for PREPARING for syrup season.


Matts dad has the whole she-bang when it comes to syrupping~ An evaporator. Tubes and taps. A sap house and trees already marked for where the lines go every year.



It is a big job, one that requires a whole lot of time and commitment and since we have been moving here, there and everywhere in those years, we haven't had the opportunity to help out.

So his dad hasn't done it in almost four years and the maple syrup reserve that he (and we) had has long since been depleted. This is the year to make that travesty right.



Last weekend Matt, his Dad and his brothers put the main lines out in preparation for the taps and tubing. About 3-400 yards of it. I decided to help them since, well~I couldn't bear to have Matt out of my sight.


It was a gorgeous day for it. Not too much snow on the ground, clear and mild.



Then, as if on cue, it began to snow just as we had finished and began walking back to the house.

Big, gorgeous white flakes.


They anticipate tapping a couple hundred trees or so but that is a job for another day.

12 comments:

Bonnie said...

Sweet! (get it? I know, I'm a dork...)

Catie said...

We LOVE real maple syrup. We pay too much for it, but unlike *someone I know*, we don't have any trees nearby to tap. ;o)

Mary said...

I love your homesteading posts ! The chickens, the eggs, the animals, the bacon !
Country life intimidates our family and I am sure many like us. But a lot of us would love to take a vacation on a hobby farm like yours, a working one of course.
We would love to chase chickens, eat farm fresh eggs, have real maple syrup on our pancakes and bacon from pigs raised on your farm. We would also love to meet a family like yours even though our lives may not be similar.
Perhaps this is not a possibility now, but if it ever happens, count on our family as one of your customers.

Rebecca said...

Mary~ after (what I presume was) your last comment, Matt's wheels~ they've been a-turning.

We even have the little cabin in the woods-though you may just be freaked out by it in its present state :-)

It is a fabulous idea-and I bet my most recent endeavor might get you salivating. Think Lavender. Herbs. Large scale. But-these things will all take time, because the place presently, is not all that pristine. More like-nearly fallen down! :-)


We may just hold you up to that! ;-)

Unknown said...

YUM!! :) The previous owners, here at Hidden Valley, did maple syrup. Alas, they owned 95 acres, us 5 acres...not enough maple trees available now. :(

Mary said...

Thank you for the reply Rebecca. Yes it was me who suggested that. I was a little hesitant as that would be very presumptuous of me.
My life in many ways is different from you, very suburban and not country. But I also garden, freeze and we buy eggs and locally raised meat as much as possibe. For health reasons and also to support local farmers.
If you fix the cottage, we will absolutely make the trip as it is the only chance this side of heaven we will get to meet and my husband and I would love to meet you and Matt in person.

Leah T. said...

Beautiful pictures! And I'm so glad you were able to spend time with Matt! I cant wait to see the rest of the posts in this series. :) The farm we are on now has very few maple trees. :( Scott has made syrup most of his life and really misses making it. We've decided to start bee-keeping as a way to supply our own sweetener! We're very excited about this new venture.

Jerelene said...

I LOVE hearing about this. We read a book about it for homeschooling. I can't wait to see "the rest of the story." I love that red barn..so pretty! The pics of the snow falling are beautiful too. I am so glad you were able to spend time with your dear hubby. And what a nice way to spend time I might add:) That must have been your hubby's brother in the pic..they sure look alike:)
I always love visiting you here!!

Blessings, Jerelene

Rebecca said...

Mary~ we would love to have you over and when the time comes, we would offer plenty of syrup to sweeten the deal. ;-)

Leah T~ The great thing about Pinterest is getting glimpses of what is on your mind and with all those bee pins lately, I told Matt the other day "I bet they are going to start beekeeping!" That is wonderful. I have thought of bees for several years, but the idea intrigues me and terrifies me at the same time. They sure will be a treasure to have around both for honey AND for gardening/pollinating. I look forward to hearing about it! (MEaning: BLOG ALREADY! hehehe)

Jerelene~Thank you Jerelene. I very much enjoy the comments you leave when you do. Thank you for taking the time!

Leah T. said...

Blogging is one thing I really do want to get back to. And hopefully soon! :D

Mrs. Rebekah S. said...

Thanks so much for sharing this--I look forward to subsequent syrup posts. I grew up in an area where you could go watch the process and so wish my children could experience it. Currently, we live where they grow their own tropical fruits, which is also awesome, but I look forward to bringing my young ones back to see maple trees. Until then, I can share your posts with them. :) Now they want to reread the maple sugar chapter in Little House in the Bog Woods. Books are a joy!

Abigail said...

HA!

More than anything, this post made me snicker. I just posted the annual "Abigail's Boiling Down Sap!" posts, and after looking at this set-up, well, never the twain shall meet! :)

Sigh. It's lovely. (Anyone want to help this large-with-child lady lug five-gallon buckets through the woods? Anyone?)