What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Crafting On


MAKING: I decided to set aside my other project (since it is being troublesome and also because it is size 6 months) and get a quick something done up for Cricket to wear home from the hospital.  I was intending to sew up a kimono something like Adele's coming home outfit but then opted for the even quicker route.  I feel lazy about it- but not guilty.  I blanket stitched around those super cute little kimono onesies to match a pair of fox pants I got for a buck on clearance. Then I crocheted up a quick bonnet (when Matt saw he said "Ummmm...boys don't wear bonnets."  And I said, "This is a BOY bonnet so it is totally okay." 

I used Feels Like Butta yarn because I *love* the feel and texture of it but that gray ball was a bonafide headache to start.  It didn't unravel well at all and got so twisted and knotted up (and, I discovered as I tried to unknot, had SEVERAL open ends and several knotted together cut ends) when I first began that I wound up cutting off two balls that were somewhat intact and throwing away the rest of it.  A brand new skein of yarn!  (I NEVER do it- but I seriously wanted to kill it after hours of trying to unwind and unknot it.)  Maybe I will have enough of the leftover bits to crochet some matching booties.  The orange yarn is also Feels Like Butta and I didn't have that trouble with it- so maybe the gray was just a fluke. 

READING: Just started The Shaping of the Christian Family: How My Parents Nurtured My Faith by Elisabeth Elliott.   It's a bit different than I thought it would be- more autobiographical and less directional but I'm enjoying it.  It is one of those books I've had on my shelves for a long time and it feels good to just get to it already! 

DOING:  All the little jobs I've been trying to get through before Cricket comes.


  • Cleaning the Spare Oom and rearranging
  • Sorting books and cleaning School Room
  • Bringing in the cradle and fixing up/cleaning the very-disgusting bedding that cats had used for cozy beds in the Granary.
  • Fixing up the cradle and mattress
  • Getting the bin of newborn stuff out
  • Making some gifts and mailing them off
  • Spiffying up the big van that my parents are letting us use so our whole family can FIT in the same VEHICLE!  We bought some rugs and air-fresheners to make it smell like us.  ;-)  (We should have just junked it up a bit with old shoes and books...that would have been a more authentic scent.)
  • Canning tomatoes
  • Dehyrading cherry tomatoes
  • the going-home outfit

 Every time I finish a job I think "There!  Now Cricket can come!  I really wanted to get that done ahead of time!"  and then I find something else to do that I would really like to get done ahead of time.

The chill in the air makes me think I should start the summer/fall switch but you know what?!  THAT is where I put my foot DOWN.  We can all wrap in blankets or wear last years' coats that still hang in the mudroom before I haul a bunch of clothing bins to the house with this gigantic, aching belly. 

And THAT is final. 

7 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Rebecca. Good luck with your home birth and hope it all works out for you. Sending prayers for a speedy and safe delivery. I had 2 home birth and I was in my 30's. Best thing ever. I would like to send something for the baby, but I realize you don't know me from Adam and may hesitate to give out private information. Maybe you might feel better if another relative or friend received it for you. Either way, please let me know. I have my 6th great grandchild coming in October and they have all been boys! Glory be! Hugs to all. Barbara

FrontierDreams said...

my boys wore bonnets :) My 3 yo still does! I love those fox pants.

Rebecca said...

Barb- we aren't doing a home birth. At least not on purpose! One never knows... ha! I am working with a midwife at the hospital. Especially this time, with some complications I have been having, I am happy to have both the resources of a hospital and the attentiveness of a sweet midwife. The best of both worlds. Email me at sgrbear724 @ yahoo . com and we can work something out. It is very thoughtful of you to think of Cricket! And congrats on your Grandboys! :-)

Frontierdreams- I know you do and frankly, I LOVE it! Your style mirrors my own in many ways- unfortunately, I am not speedy enough to make 'my style' actually happen! ha!

Abigail said...

I love that outfit! Matt's outnumbered on this one. ;)

Thanks for graciously succumbing to that impromptu visit. It was lovely to just sit and chat after the weekend whirl.

Debbie actually called me yesterday morning just to hear how your midwife appointment went. Ha! You didn't know you were part of the Nanticoke grapevine, but we're all thinking of and praying for you and Cricket daily. God gird you toward and through Cricket's path to your arms! <3

debbie said...

I used to buy one side and embroidered them just like that,they held up really well.

Abigail said...

p.s.
Don't even think about fall.

Don't even think about fall.

Don't even think about fall.

(When we were all bundled up yesterday, one of the girls asked me when I was planning to do the clothes switchover. That's my standard response.)

terricheney said...

I love those little fox pants! My daughter is 6 months and has been nesting for at least a month now. She was an early nester with her first child too. My dil is pregnant with number three and she never got around to nesting with number two and told me she probably won't with this one either, lol.