What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, August 05, 2019

Slow and Steady




restaining the porch floor meant clearing off the entire porch.  Ack!

End result wasn't bad though, eh?
 




My most favorite lunch these days- if I can scrounge half an avocado in the fridge.  




"Mama!  Take a picture of me n Ruby!"


Kiddo version of supper

Low carb (aka gestational diabetes) version of supper.

Sewing projects on the porch


The location of the some-day Timber Frame barn

Cutting braces





All the wood in the background waiting for Timberframing special treatment.  And a girl who needs earplugs.



This summer has been brutal and wonderful at the same time.  Nothing like being large with child to slow you down and help you not stress about the small stuff.  I really honestly DO NOT CARE if I accomplish my to-do lists every day because breathing/waddling/surviving the heat can feel like it is the biggest TO DO of all.  Weeds in the garden?  Eh.  It's okay.  Laundry yet to do?  Ah well.  A school room to organize- I'll get to it some day.

Maybe.

Somehow I do... I've tackled some pretty big projects the last month or so- I've cleaned and sorted the Granary (a HUGE project and MUCH needed and TOTALLY exhausting), we restained the porch floor, I've reorganized cupboards and rooms and some of those secret places of disorder that nobody knows is an avalanche but the woman of the house.  The children and I have somehow kept the weeds at bay a bit and harvested garden goodness before it was too late.  The laundry seems to keep caught up better than it has in the past.  We've hosted several functions and shown a bit more hospitality lately (a goal I have made for myself after reading this book.)  I sorted through my stored baby boy clothes (bins I haven't opened in 8 years or so...) and inventoried what I have and what was ruined in eight years of storage.  

There is certainly progress- but the urgency I often feel this time of year just isn't there and I don't mind it one bit.  I'd rather be swimming and often we do just that.  You know what they say.... slow and steady wins the race.

I am very thankful we live just a few minutes from Matt's parents and they happen to live on a lake.  Swimming for an hour when you can't stand the heat helps SO much.  Although- not sure how much longer I'll be able to squeeze into my maternity swimsuit. Just sayin'.   If I didn't hate bikini's so much, I'd find them very useful when it comes to pregnancy.  Or skinny dipping.  (If the entire world were blind.)

Matt began a new project.... not for the necessity of the thing (though HE might say it is necessary- we all know the truth) but I suspect more for the 'dream' of it.  He decided to build himself a Timberframe Barn.  Or a three-sided structure anyway.  Is that a barn?  A shed?  I dunno.  Whatever it is called, it will be a great learning experience for him and hopefully, a bit of "outdoor therapy".  Timberframing is also an exercise in patience... little by little, bit by bit.  The joy is supposed to be in the process.  He has his own 'slow and steady' project going on. 

 That is how Matt fills up his tank.  He heads outdoors and finds something to do.  
I just try and hang on for the ride.

Lots of flowers being made into bouquets and tucked into corners of the house.  Lots of delicious garden fresh suppers and lunches. Lots of homemade sugar-free ice cream.  Lots of porch sitting.   Lots of busy weekends. Lots of midwife appointments.  Lots of waiting rooms. Lots of knitting.  Tomorrow I see the midwife again and get to see Cricket ONE MORE TIME before the big day...whenever that big day comes.  (I love ultrasounds.)  

I finally made a good start on the knitted romper I spoke about in this post.  It was a slow start because, while I had the right diameter circular needles, the cord was too long for the project and was a MAJOR hassle!  When I finally bought the right length (16") circular needles, it made things go a lot more pleasantly.  After that is done...I am hoping to have time to finish a little hat too.  

We'll see.

Reading (and LOVING!)  Love Thy Body by Nancy Pearcey.  

6 comments:

ulli said...

Wonderful to hear you're taking it slow and steady, Rebecca. Been thinking about you, hoping all is well. The porch floor is gorgeous, and it looks like everyone is having a good summer. Hot here, too. Looking forward to seeing your new little fella. Blessings and all the best...

marthahelen said...

Ive been thinking of you! When is your due date? It is amazing what you are accomplishing and even though when I'm pregnant (or even any old day, really) I never feel like I really am allowed to "not do much," or like I'm not keeping up or getting anything major done. But somehow, everyone has clean clothes to wear. Food is on the table when it's supposed to be. Bigger cleaning and organizing projects do find their way to completion eventually. So, I do hope you slow down and enjoy this sweet (hot, heavy and sometimes also uncomfortable) last stage of pregnancy in the hottest days of the year! Enjoy that time in the lake and the moments of rest when they come. I so love love love your blog and am always encouraged and heartened by your words and your world. Your Matt sounds a lot like my Brandon, I think they'd get along just fine. You know, he (my husband) is originally from Horseheads/Elmira area.

beth said...

been thinking of you and hoping you'd post a summer update –– yet again, so grateful you choose to share snippets of your life here –– your photos are lovely, and so much of what you write is rich food for thought.

elizabeth said...

you have, as a family, done a lot considering your expecting + heat that you mention! That porch looks lovely! I am wishing you all the best for your upcoming delivery and baby! :)

Rebecca said...

Thank you for the encouragement, ladies! You taking the time to comment means so much to me!

marthahelen- I feel the same way about your blog, truly! Even about your Brandon and my Matt. :-) And I won't pretend I don't dream about maybe working out a time, in the future, of us coordinating a visit if ever you come visit your husbands' family! My family still lives in the Elmira area, so we go there often and we really are just a hop, skip and jump away! My due date is September 1st. (*Fun fact* my firstborn and my fourth-born were both born on September 2nd, seven years apart!)

I am not certain but due to some complications and concerns recently, I may have to be induced a bit early but we will see... maybe my sixth born will be a Sept. 2nd baby too. ;-)

Abigail said...

AHA! Rollers on magic paint-staffs, paintbrushes, AND helper elves are the trick. ;) I just emailed you a p.s. about it, but now I'm wondering if you added a coat of seal or just used a 2 in 1. And you may not see this, so I'll just ask you tomorrow, if my memory holds true. The porch looks more gorgeous than ever, which I didn't know was possible. Well done!

That picture of Ineke on the couch stopped me in my tracks. Beauty.

I love those pictures of Matt and his dad working together side-by-side, as they so often do. What a gift.