What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, November 03, 2021

Feeling Like a Pumpkin Squashed Mum






 


There are very few words that can eek themselves out these days and very little beauty, as I and my family struggle through the most taxing and worrisome season of our lives.  Thank you to all who have reached out in comments, emails or mailboxes to encourage and uplift.  Thank you especially to those who have been praying for my family and my Mom.

Could I ask for more?

Mom continues to hang on in the ICU but isn't making any real encouraging progress.  When she does take a tiny baby step to recovery, it is one step forward and then two steps backward.  My Dad is feeling much better these days, praise the Lord, but it is for him specifically that I ask you to pray.

He has not seen my Mom since the day he dropped her off at the hospital- almost a month ago- and the doctors have asked that now that he is feeling well enough, that he come to see her and meet with them to discuss her health concerns.  Though we have kept him in the loop of her very critical state, it will be a very real and devastating blow to him to see her the way that she is.  He speaks of 'when' she is coming home and not the more pressing question of 'IF'.  

My sister Elizabeth and I will be taking him to the hospital several hours away today and it is going to be excruciating.  Particularly for him.   Please pray for us, we need them desperately.

As for me, I have been going to Dad's house to help him each Monday and I have been going to visit Mom at the hospital three hours away one day a week- both of which take entire days and cannot include tagalong children.  I've been taking my younger siblings that are still living at home as often as I can too.    Schooling has suffered, attitudes have suffered, our home has suffered, the jalapenos waiting to be canned are rotting and our lives are just in a general state of upset right now.  Children, even my own sweet, wonderful and responsible children, shouldn't be left alone to fend for themselves and care for younger children for two days out of every week.  The stresses of this last month are beginning to show on all counts.  So if you could spare a few prayers on our behalf, I would be most grateful too. 

I have had to train myself to see things to be thankful for these days and one of the biggest things I am thankful for right now is for friends who come alongside one another.   Mom's friends are rallying around my family right now- bringing SO MANY meals and helping me with cleaning and organizing, one even created a GOFUNDME page for my Mom and Dad.  And my own dear friends are rallying around us too- being the hands and feet of God in our lives.  On Thanksgiving, I think this year I will be most grateful for God giving us the good gift of friendship.  It has picked me up more than once lately.

~~~~~~

Because I am stretched too thin to do so myself, and because I know they would think it great fun, I have given my children the task for the next week or two to do some catch-up blogging. So the next few posts will be from my children.  Who knows what will pop up?  Consider yourselves warned!  

8 comments:

Ulli said...

Rebecca, I have been thinking about you often and I check your blog daily for updates. I'm very glad to see this update and know your dear mother is still hanging on. It's a difficult season for you and yours, but with faith, family, and friends you will get through no matter what the result. Your parents and family will be in my prayers. I'm glad your father will be able to see your mother. It will be good for both, albeit hard. You're a very good daughter. I look forward to read what your kids have to say. I'm sure they'll make you proud. Love and blessings, Ulli

Anonymous said...

Rebecca- I'm sending you prayers. I work part-time in a hospital and want you to know the nurses and therapists take special care and extra time with folks who don't have visitors. I hold hands, smooth hair, speak sweetly, as do my colleagues. May the visit help make clear decisions and bring comfort and love.

Shirley in Washington said...

Thank you so much for the update! I checked your blog and prayed frequently. I am praying for you and your family. Blessings, Shirley

Jo said...

Ditto to everything Shirley said.
I've been praying daily for you and your mom and your family and I will continue to do so.
I've been checking back daily.
I'm glad for the update.
Also,
looking forward to those next posts!

terricheney said...

Prayers continue here for you, your family, your mom and dad and their family still at home. It's all so very hard, I know. Be sure that you are all being uplifted.

beth said...

prayers & love ~

Mary Anne said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mom’s illness. I will pray for her healing and for your dad and for all of your intentions. πŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌ

Els said...

Dear Rebecca,
we will keep going to the throne of grace to pray for mercy. Prayer for your mum and dad and for the rest of the family.
We're glad your dad was able to visit, and that your mum knew he was there. It must be so hard for you all.
Glad that local friends are helping out.
Glad that your kids are able to take care of each other when needed. The Lord is good!
And even though you may not be able to see any good in your mum being so ill, we can't trust our "dimmed glasses", but need to rely on Him.
I pray that His Spirit will help you to trust. To cry out to God, and to want His will to be done. God is our only hope!
And our only comfort is, in life and death, that we belong to our faithful Savior, Jesus Christ! And without the will of our heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from our heads (imagine!) but that ALL things must work together for our good.(Heidelberg Catechism 1). May you find peace in Him! May He keep you the strength to keep going
Love and hugs from Els