What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, September 05, 2023

Feeling Farmy Again

How has summer been for you?  

It flew by here... as I suspected it would.  Here is a smattering of what has been happening in our neck of the woods...


We had late-August grass (dry, dead, crackly, brown) in May/June and May grass (green, lush, soft) growing in August due to no rain and then rain-every-other-day.  And sometimes Andrew even got caught in the rain while mowing.



Ineke teaches her pupil how to suck goodness from a beebalm petal.




(Adele' took this picture of a pretty kitty who is NOT named Oreo because all black and white kitties are named Oreo.  So this one remains Nameless.  And Nameless is a cute name too.)


The flower circle continues to give me such joy. 

This year I have to divide plants which is going to be quite a job.  Some of the bulb clumps feel like concrete.

More petal sucking


Thanks to a few large and looming jobs that took my time and attention, my first garden harvests did not come in steady sprinkles but rather one insane harvest of all baseball bats.

It took a very intensive week of All-Things-Squash to take care of all of those baseball bats... and while I was busy making zucchini food and canning zucchini relishes, the zucchini in the gardens just kept growing.  So I have been harvesting baseball bats almost all season.


Ineke learns how to make from scratch mac n cheese




We welcomed two little piggies in May.  A different breed than we are used to, but all pigs are beautiful.  (Or at least the baby ones...)  A few days after they arrived, one of the piglets escaped the electric fence and went AWOL for over a week.  I spent more time chasing that pig around...  a neighbor up the hill would call and let us know they had seen it.  I would get corn around to go try and catch it just in time for a neighbor DOWN the hill to call and say it was at their house now.  That happened for days.  Eventually, I just wished a coyote would eat the dumb thing.

But on the 8th day of surviving the wild, a neighbor returned it to us in a live-trap.  

We named that ornery pig Shenanigans.  The other one is named Faithful.

(The pictured one is Faithful.  Shenanigans was off on her shenanigans at the time...)

Hmmmm.  Wonder what she has in HER mouth...


zucchini muffins and breads, lots

soft skinned boys waiting for breakfast

Zucchini soup



zucchini brownies

soooo much zucchini relish

the tiny last bit of a huge roaster pan of delicious zucchini casserole

And MORE roasted zucchini for supper



I've canned up...

 67 pints of zucchini relish
11 jars of "faux pineapple" made from yellow squash



The garlic harvest was so much better than last year but a harvest a week or two later than I wanted to.






I'll miss the days of fresh garden meals for supper








I'll miss the flowers too.




On August 9th, a new calf was born.  Named Tornado because there were tornado warnings that day, she's a beauty.

We found her, already born, in the field.  So THAT was easy!

After a long hiatus of having nothing but cats... it feels nice to have some pigs, a calf, and a cow to milk.  Makes us feel more like a farm again.

Although we still don't have a farm dog.  :-(

(Anyone have any sweet, smart, pretty and gentle border collie puppies they want to give us?  Pretty please?!)









6 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

As I read through this post and saw the lovely photos I thought about how farm life reminds us of the cycles of life, comings and goings, abundance and dearth, work and play. So many lessons!

Unknown said...

Your flowers and veggies are beautiful and impressive. You've certainly stayed busy and productive. Lynn Ewing

Monica said...

I loved this post. All of my favorite things in one post! Sounds like you were blessed abundantly this summer with goodness! I’m not sure I would ever leave that gorgeous patch of bee balm. Can you get me some seeds? Maybe I should write you for them to earn them, right? ;) Congrats on the pig (kune-kune?) oops, I mean pigS… :) and the baby calf (fresh MILK! My precious!) and the baseball bats, er squash… so much summer goodness…seeing more of ineke and Moses, which means the older children are off doing their own thing (right? Waaah…)…love this update, always happy for a Newman Excerpt! Monica

Rebecca said...

Oh, thank you all so much for your comments. I felt quite sure that the only ones who check my blog (and are disappointed by the stagnation) are my own children. Even they have nearly given up.

Amazing to have such stalwart friends.

(Monica- I have only ever dug roots up for friends of beebalm. Not sure how well they propagate from seeds...but I WILL TRY!)

Els said...

Looks like a good summer! Praise the Lord for his grace, in providing for you in so many ways (even if you think the timing is a bit off, weather in England is also quite unpredictable).
We may not always comment, we DO always check for updates! Absolutely love them!!!

Rebecca said...

Thank you, Els! You are one of those stalwart friends I appreciate so much!