What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, September 07, 2023

A Glimpse for Papa

 











Every Thursday night Gary and Linda come over for supper. Gary and Linda Supper.  Glupper. 

Sometimes, if we are lucky, we get Kemuel too.  (Does this mean we need to call it Kglupper?  Glupperk?  Klugpper?)

Tonight we had pulled pork sandwiches, coleslaw, tomato-corn salad, Sunchips and leftover birthday cupcakes.

I will be having ice cream tonight too. (You know I will.)

It rained.  The temperature dropped almost 20 degrees.

The boys loaded all the hay into the hayloft even when the hay elevator stopped working properly.

The cows and pigs continue to survive.  The kittens do too.  (I know, you are less excited about that.)

I read stories to the children.

The children and I "swam" in algae water.  Which actually looked more like kids swimming in green murk while I stood waist deep and as still as could be and warned everyone to keep their mouths closed.  (It was gross.)

I picked up several dozen ears of corn kind neighbors were getting rid of.

I admired my dahlias.

I made several flower bouquets.  I put one next to my bed.

I swept.

I asked Adele' and Ineke to harvest all the ripe tomatoes... and they missed about half.

Andrew mowed.

I did laundry.  Cleaned more stuff from the floor.  Put things away.  All the never ending things.

I sorted through the "sentimental" bin and found all the lovenotes from days gone by.  I thought this would make me happy.  I was surprised to find it actually had the opposite effect.   I wonder if the man these days feels the same way as the man back then wrote? What say ye?

I tucked them all safely away again to be rediscovered in another few decades.

I went grocery shopping.

I paid some bills.

I *almost* caught up on emails.

I wondered when I would finally get to organizing the school room. Or finish Moses' room. 

I enjoyed listening to your voice when you called.

I finished reading The Crucible and will pick up Respectable Sins tonight before bed.  (But after icecream.)

I blogged so you could catch a glimpse.

I love you.

5 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

You are in such a busy season of life right now. I'm glad you take time to see the flowers and put them by your bed. Each hard season seems to last forever, while the joyous ones seem fleeting. You are doing such a great work of raising a righteous family, making happy memories, and shining your light out into a dark world. God bless you for your goodness, your faithfulness, and your desire to do and be better. Press forward with steadfastness in Christ! You will be victorious, and eternity will be glorious. And so will this life be as you pass from one season to another full of love within your family.

Matt said...

Thanks you for the update. It makes me feel like I'm there! Looks like Moses is still having fun with chalk.

Rebecca said...

Rozy- you are such an encourager! What a beautiful comment. I am so thankful for it.

Matt- so you DO read my blog. ;-)

Lynn Ewing said...

I feel sure the “man these days” feels what he wrote long ago even more intensely and with more shades of color and beauty. You’ve created a beautiful life and family together. Lynn Ewing

Ulli said...

Rebecca, none of your posts are glimpses, they are feasts. You needn't say much, and the beauty of your life and family shines. Seasons of life change, but the solid ground you and Matt built to support your family is always there, and this along with the solid love and strength of God, is what supports you. Relish it. Enjoy each moment, even the hard ones. Find the beauty. Pick the flowers. It will soon change to something else.