What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Time and Mind consumers....

My Oma fell last week and broke several ribs. My Opa is left to care for her and himself (when he is pretty much used to being waited on...). We keep trying to convince them to move closer to us (they live in Lewsiton, NY), for their health and for our enjoyment. They refuse for a number of reasons-mostly just because they are established and don't want to admit they can't take on the world. It is SO frustrating to me because I just don't know when they will say, "Enough is enough. It is better for us to move." They just need HELP but we are all too far away to help! Besides that, I enjoy their comany so-I would love to be able to spend more time with them! Then, yesterday, Matt called his father and found out that Gram is in the hospital again for high blood pressure, and having a "poor spell". We so often take advantage of having her close that we don't go and visit her as we should. I wish we were in a position to be neighbors with our older loved ones. It would be a blessing indeed. Call me silly, but I hope Matt and I will be able to live next door to our children at some point. Or at least down the street.... :-)
The other day Matt and I went to the church and cleaned the salvagable stuff. Mostly chairs but some shelving units and stuff too. I guess I didn't realize all the wreckage...but pretty much everything is junk-highchairs, tables, chalkboards, you name it. We are left with only ONE usable table for downstairs. We are trying to think of a new layout for downstairs that will better serve our purposes, after all, now is the time. On a brighter note, though, the inside of the church looks amazing compared to what it did! It looks as though nothing happened (almost...). Matt and I were discussing it, and we think not many people within the congregation will know just how badly we were affected since many haven't gone to see it. My sister took some photo's and we will probably make a poster or something so everyone can see what it DID look like. Matt hopes to be worshipping there again by the beginning of May. Since the whole basement is cleared out, we will take this opportunity to at least paint the floor of the basement. I am also working on making some wall hangings to replace the framed verses on the walls.
I have been busy this past week switching our clothes around-replacing cold weather gear with the WARM stuff...YIPPEE! It is a big job, though. Especially since it involves many side jobs too. Laundry of things getting packed AND unpacked, for one. I plan to have a yard sale somewhere around the end of May-so I am sorting through things that no longer fit (yes!, I am finally letting go of those clothes that I know I will never fit into again...), that we don't need, and non-clothing items that are just taking up space. I hope to put on a good spread and have a big turn out. Then I am also deciding on things that might make a better profit on Ebay.
My first round of ebay listings will hopefully be up today. Depends on how many I can get done by the end of naptime-and it's already close to the end so I better stop lollygagging and get to it. I want to get outside for a little while today too.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Rebecca,

I'm so sorry about Oma and Gram. I will keep them both in my prayers.

Isn't it so nice to be able to pull out the warm weather clothes!

I should be doing eBay, too! I haven't really touched it all winter. I'm not sure about doing a yard sale this year. It such a big job! I hope yours goes well!

Maybe we'll see you tomorrow! Are you and Matt going to the church to work? We're going to try to make it out!

Abigail said...

I'm sorry to hear about all your dear ones, and I hope health is improving.

Hurrah for getting things done! I just mopped yesterday. Crunch, crunch, crunch, time to mop!

Hope springs eternal with me. I've tossed most clothes but still hang on to a choice few with the delusion that wedding-stick-girl will return someday!