What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Patriotic Party Weekend...

Well, I finally have a minute to post about what has been happening lately. The biggest and best news is that I sewed my first dress for Corynn this past weekend. I will post pictures of that soon. Right now though, I will write about yesterday and post some pictures of the happenings. I decided to have a July 4th party/BBQ at our house here in Candor. It was the first 'holiday' celebration we have hosted and it was perfect for us, since we live right across the street from where Candor was putting on a fireworks display. A carnival has also set up in the ball field for the weekend, and so we all went to that together. I made some invites and LOTS of food, and we all had a good time. I even had some cheaply acquired R,W, and B decoratoins to spruce things up. I used left over fabric with flags on it for a table top, I bought (cheaply) a string of R,W,B lights, and got 4 TIKI torches that were cheaper than dirt. Not only were they NEATO, but they kept the bugs at bay too. I planned on making more decorations but I ran out of time. Not as many people could come as I had hoped, but it was a good time anyway. The part that struck me was how relaxed I was the whole day-even leading up to it. I had prepared everything well in advance, leaving only a few projects to be done-and so I was able to enjoy the day and not be stressed out.

Among the food dishes, I fixed Corn on the Cob, London Broil and Hotdogs, Pasta Salad, Devilled Eggs, Patriotic Popcorn balls, and Cukes in Vinegar. Elizabeth brought a jello 'cake' decorated like a flag and mom brought July 4th cookies. We also had lots of chips, soda, and all that 'bad for you' stuff.

It really was a good time. The kids played with the bunnies for a while, swam a while, played in the tent I created out of some sheets and the clothsline, and then were awed by the carnival. Tomorrow, Matt, Corynn, and I will be going to a park with The Brown's and the Cantrell's to spend the day swimming, hiking, and doing whatever else. It will be great fun. By Tuesday though, I can already tell I will be exhausted. Actually, I am already on the verge. I had better take my covenanter nap before my dear family wakes up from theirs. I never take naps but I feel a migraine coming on. EEK!

Happy Fourth of July!

No comments: