What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, July 21, 2005

She looketh well to the ways of her household.....

I finished reading the book THE WAY HOME by Mary Pride. It was an excellent read. She put things bluntly and moved on to other topics quickly, but had so many profound things to say-things that really make you think. She has another book called All the Way Home that I hope to get my hands on to sometime. Here is an excerpt from her book-just one of the many things she said that struck me….

“Family planning is the mother of abortion. A generation had to be indoctrinated in the ideal of planning children around personal convenience before abortion could become popular. We Christians raise an outcry against abortion today, and rightly so. But the reason we have to fight those battles today is because we lost them thirty years ago. Once couples began to look upon children as creatures of their own making, who they could plan into their lives as they chose or not, all reverence for human life was lost. Children as God’s gifts whom we humbly receive are one thing; children as articles of our own manufacturing are another. You can do anything you like with what you yourself have made.
Children today are their parents’ toys or hobbies. They exist for their parents’ desires alone. So they are banned from all adult functions (including Sunday morning worship), deposited in day-care from infancy and even abused sexually.” (pg.77)

It is true that many of the Christians in churches today look beyond themselves at the ‘evil world’ at large. We forget, however, that the world’s evil perceptions have infiltrated the church and we are much the same. How many of our Christian women want careers rather than children? How many of them do not see the value in being THERE with your children as they grow old, teaching and training them along the way. How many Christian women decide when and how many children they want? These ideas are not only extra-biblical, but married to the very “world’ that we scoff at.
Abortion looks much different to me, if I think of it as something the church has helped produce. It is a shameful truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took inventory of Corynn’s cool/cold weather clothing today to see what she has and what she will need. She has a winter coat, a pair of pants, a sweater, two footed sleepers, and two jumper dresses (without the shirt underneath.) All of these things I got at yard sales or Salvation Army this past year-all are in excellent quality…but she needs more than that. I haven’t had ANY luck at yard sales this year for her…for ANY girl for that matter. All I ever see is boy clothes! Thankfully, the season isn’t completely over! I hope to get all she needs this summer.
I found a GREAT website and blog through my friend Paula’s blog. Paula is LVG4HIM and the cool site I found is called Homemaking on the Homestead. All are in my links section. The lady (named Crystal) has a family webpage too which is underneath her blog. You should check them out! Crystal’s website, coupled with our current circumstances, have inspired me and encouraged me to start my own much dreamed about web site. Not being very technologically savvy-my trepidations have hindered me thus far. But as with any other thing I try-I psyche myself out over what turns out to be nothing and by doing so, all I have done is wasted precious time doing very cool things-and in this case, perhaps earning money!
Since I am on the subject, another fun thing I am going to learn and do very soon is make a rag rug. I have to go to the library and borrow some books on the subject-but I have wanted to do THAT project ever since I got married! No more dillydallying-now is the time!
One more thing before I go. Last night we had chili and cheese over tortilla chips and I put squash in the chili (it was different-but good!). We had a fresh tossed salad with spinach, lettuce, beet greens, and squash from our garden (along with other veggies), and we had peach yogurt with blueberries (fresh picked.) It was such a good feeling eating the fruits of our labor! It is a comforting thing, knowing that I have provided those things for my family by proactive thinking, planning, and hard work so that they might be filled.

Wonderful-gut.

7 comments:

Paula said...

I had heard good things about this book, but with your glowing review (and I have not been disappointed by your suggestions yet) this will be my next read! :)

Anonymous said...

I love that book! I am also looking for some good deals on kids clothes at yard sales. I've found some nice boys stuff this year for my boys but girls stuff seems to be harder to find. Part of it is because so much of the girls stuff is so trendy (and trashy) that we won't let Elizabeth wear it. Have a wonderful evening! ~Jen

Rebecca said...

You really won't be disappointed! (are you going incognito these days, "P"?) ;-)

Jen- I found a drastic difference in little girls clothes when my daughter hit the 12 month mark. Before that it was all pretty and feminine but once she outgrew 12 months-much of it was just as you said...trendy and trashy. It is disappointing. :-( I have found some pretty dresses that are more 'old fashioned' at Salvation Army before...sometimes homemade ones. People not liking that style SOMETIMES works to my advantage!

Abigail said...

What size do you think Corynn will be wearing this fall/winter? When I haul the girls' winter clothes out of storage (an inhuman feat in and of itself), I can set aside some things for her if I have excess in her size, which I probably will. (I can't promise anything that's unabashedly frilly, but I'll do my best.) Let me know!

Abigail said...

One last thing...I can't gush enough about church rummage sales, bag sales in particular, and it's one thing I miss most about living in the Binghamton area. When I was home this last time, I went to three with my mom, and I bought four bags of clothes for a grand total of eight dollars. Even at the bag sale, after other people had picked everything over, there were quite a few nice children's clothes left that I was able to snatch up.

So, anyway, rummage sale seasons are spring and fall. Keep your eyes peeled for fall sales, and let me know if you want my mom to email you to let you know when all the sales usually are. She's good that way...

Rebecca said...

Hillary-I have tried to buy things on ebay before-but haven't had much luck. Most of the times I am outbid-other times, if you include shipping charges you are still paying a pretty penny for clothes. Oh well.

Abby-She will be in 2t-3t things. The problem was that last year at the end of the year clearance sales, I got some stuff-but I misjudged how she will have grown and bought 4T things. They will be huge! I forgot that rummage sales are big in the fall too-I always think of them as a spring thing too. I am sure we will be fine-don't go through your girls' clothes-you have one, possibly TWO that will need them at some point! ;-) Thanks for caring though. I might take you up on getting some info from your mom though. We'll see how I do on my own... :-)

Brenda said...

Dearest Rebecca
I am not sure how this blogging thing works so I am making sure you get my reply to your comment post on my blog page. If you go to my page you will see my reply to your comment. Thank you
Blessings
Brenda
http://preciousjourneys.blogspot.com