What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

bittle lits

"Rich people have big libraries. Poor people have big TVs. It's not coincidental."
~Jim Rohn


It is a rainy and gray day again today. When I went to the mailbox to put mail in, it was sunny and bright. I thought, "Well, maybe I WILL get some laundry on the line afterall!" But by the time I reached the house it had turned a dark gray and drops had started to fall. I don't mind the rain, actually, I quite like it. But as every drop falls, I think about all the plants that I HAVEN'T planted yet that would be enjoying such a dousing. By the time my garden grows, it will be the dryest of the dry. I am contemplating getting the garden in AS it rains. I don't mind getting wet. I am going to check out a local greenhouse for some plants-if I can't find anything there I am afraid (TERRIBLY AFRAID) that I will have to purchase plants from Walmart! How awful would THAT be?!?!

Within the church we are attending, nearly all the families are homeschooled and many of the families have quite a few children. Only one other family has younger children, and that is the Pastor and his wife. I am so thankful to have such a wealth of knowledge right at my fingertips! Since this whole homeschooling deal is new to me, it is nice to have people who have already gone through it all to seek counsel from. Tomorrow night I am VERY excited because the local homeschooled children are putting on a yearly production themselves. We are going to go see it. What is the production? The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I am very excited to see it and for Corynn to see it as well. The theatre and performing arts were a very big deal to me in highschool and frankly, I thought it was something I would have to sacrifice in order to homeschool. Very exciting!

Last night we went to town. The very SMALL town that is closest to us. I didn't expect to see ANYTHING there at all and so I was quite impressed to see that they have lots of goodies. A post office. A doctor's office. Gas. Movies. Pizza. And then, (celestial AAAAHHHH ensues) the library. Candor's library was in a basement, practically. The Tyrone library is so LARGE and even has gold embossed lettering instead of a hand painted sign! Wahoo! We didn't go in but very soon we will be making a trip. I hope it is as good as it appears!

I am getting antsy to get out and start taking some REAL pictures of things (as opposed to the very fake photos I post here). I am looking forward to sunny, blue skies so I can do just that. I keep finding all sorts of goodies to photograph with my Canon. I hope to someday get a scanner again so that I can post my NON-snapshot pictures.

Today's agenda is light for me. I am enjoying a 24 hour reprieve from intense housework and only doing what is necessary...laundry, vacuuming, dishes, tidying, etc. This morning I was able to sort through some coupons and get a grocery list going. (A friend has taught me how to shop with coupons without spending any money. I hope to get my first FREE items grocery shopping THIS week! If it really works, I will share my success with you all!) I need to make some return address labels and then I hope to write some letters this afternoon (before naptime ends). After that I will plan my gardens (content, layout, timing, etc.). Someone asked me what 10 things I might most like to accomplish this summer, so I will be thinking about that and writing that down. For me, if it gets written down, it gets done. A fun day of pondering and planning. Here's to it!

9 comments:

Carmichael Family said...

Gardening in the rain could be fun, although I've never tried it. If you do have to purchase your plants from Walmart, no one will know where they're from once you've planted them. :)
How fun to go exploring in your new town! My kids love going to the library and picking out books. What a great place for you and Corynn to spend time.

Wendy said...

Hey Rebecca, Your library in Candor sounds like ours...but I like going anyway...every Thursday with the girls -its our date. I am glad you have lots of folks to glean info from at church. I remember the McHenrys went there. They came to Manchester for a short while and then went back...Are they still there? I doubt they would remember me if they are...but I think she is probably a WEALTH of knowledge..:)

Paula said...

Oh so glad to have time to catch up on your blog. I SO ENVY YOU (I know I am not supposed to). LOVE that clothes line!! You said how to make it, but you didn't REALLY tell us how (you need to have your husband write up directions and then post them OR email them to me). Love the little line for the young ones!!!! I need to get me one of those lines!!

Thanks for the congrats on baby. I have posted a picture in the scrapbook (you can can to the link from my blog). So far only only picture (the birth announcement). We haven't had much time to take pictures (long story short: he refused to eat and dropped 9.7% birth weight, worked hard on getting weight up, he had excessive bleeding after circumcision, two day stay in hospital, finally back home).

BTW - I love that quote about the rich libraries! I will have to use that one. Also, I know you like Tasha Tudor. You will REALLY like MaryJane Butters. Check out her book MaryJanes Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook for the Farmgirl in all of us. This is a book that I never wanted to end.

Well, blab blab blab and off I go to feed little baby brother!

Paula said...

I tried emailing you from the address you left on my blog, but it was returned. You can email me at marriedtoawonderfulman at yahoo dot com (my spam email addy). =^)

Anonymous said...

Email me when you get a chance...know you are busy...if you need my email again leave me a comment on my blog.
Jen

betsy said...

How exciting that you are planning to homeschool your children! I've homeschooled our children since they were little, and enjoyed (nearly) every minute of it! How wonderful that so many of the families at your church homeschool, what a great resource that will be for you.
I've just barely started putting my garden in, it's been hard to get going on it while being pregnant, of course I know that isn't going to get any easier with time, I'm just going to get bigger and more uncomfortable by the day! Have fun with your garden!

Anonymous said...

"rich people have big libraries. Poor people have big t.v's. It's not coincidental". When I first read this it made me think you were a snob.

Anonymous said...

Interesting, you get to approve the comments before they are postec

Rebecca said...

I began moderating anonymous comments after a certain period of time because of all the spam I get to this blog. I enjoy reading anonymous comments USUALLY.

Sorry you think I am a snob. I think you must like to waste your time. First, because you found offense at that quote and second, because you decided to write me- twice- about it.