What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Of mice and men...

Too much of anything can be bad-especially if that SOMETHING was bad in the first place. After playing a funny game about a mouse hiding in a serving dish, Corynn (and I) both had mouse on the brain. Then, the funny game took a turn for the worse.

I was fixing lunch and I opened our newly stocked pantry...to find a wee little mouse nosing around at eye level. A REAL one-not like the friendly pretend one we so gayly imagined. Now, I am NOT a squeemish lady, by any means, but seeing a mouse in my PANTRY, without expecting it, and at EYE LEVEL no less, made me squeal and get the heebie jeebies. Funny-I hate mice and I hate them in my house-but to know the fate of the little guy made me sad. He WAS sort of cute. So-I left the room and held my ears as Matt 'took care of him' with the handle of a broom. Corynn was watching the murder the whole time, yet still believes Papa just took him outside to run and play. So young and naive, she is. And BLIND!

Oh, and wouldn't you know~when I was JUST ABOUT moused out, we got a loverly package in the mail (it truly WAS lovely and MUCH appreciated) that contained the book Mister Mouse needs a House complete with a fuzzy unattached (perfectly sized) little mouse. It IS a cool book and arrived at the perfect time-Mousekin Hotel now has openings though I can't guarantee how long a stay is available.

This week was the completion of Matt's first week of work. O Happy Days! Corynn and I baked a cake-the first time I have baked in months! What a great time it was...planning, baking, and eating it afterwards! I think Matt appreciated it too.

The ONE drawback of this job, however, is that it is required for Matt to work alternate Sundays so that Bossman can go to church every now and again also. Now, I guess it is a good issue to deal with, knowing that there is one more servant of our Lord, but on the other hand-a real pain. It was much easier working with the reprobate. I mean, it didn't mess up our schedules at all! hehehe

So, this morning I headed to church all alone. Poor poor pitiful me. I drove BY MYSELF and DIDN'T get lost-everyone who knows how directionally challenged I am knows how much a feat THAT was! And the children. Wow. Man, am I SO glad that we have consistently worked with Corynn since her birth and that I didn't just leave disciplining up to the Papa. It is so nice not having to freak out about 'going it alone'. She was quiet and sat still (as did Andrew which I KNEW was a great challenge for HIM!) and even more impressive was the fact that she was listening and relating what the Pastor said to real life. Last night, by some fluke, I read to her the story of Moses' birth and adoption. When singing a psalm today that spoke of Moses, she spoke up loudly! "MAMA! We're talking about MOSES!" A great revelation that we were singing and speaking about the very man she learned about yesterday! The message was on demons and as the Pastor spoke, she whispered to me-"Just like Monsters, Mama? Talking about Monsters?" I was so proud of her. I am forever reminded how much of a joy my children are to me. Here is a 2 yr old who was actually LISTENING to the sermon (funny thing is, we sat next to a college guy who was actually SLEEPING!) I was just WAITING for her to loudly refer to it. Thankfully, that was one embarassment avoided.

Tonight our family will attend the first evening worship service we have ever attended, at least to my recollection. I am so glad we have the opportunity to publically worship together as a family at SOME point today. Well, it is soon time to go. I just wanted to give a quick update and post some pictures. The one is of the cake, obviously, the other is a good buy I got this weekend. I got two garbage bags full of cloth diapers for $5.00. Both the flat and fitted. I am very excited about it. This week we are starting Corynn back in her 'panties' instead of pull-ups too. She is doing really well and adjusting beautifully. I think she should be able to handle it now. Hey-if she can listen to a sermon, she can wear panties! :-)

That's that and now I MUST go. Have a great week everyone!


1 comment:

Els said...

Hi Rebecca,

When we lived in Ithaca, we couldn't count the mice.... we trapped them under the kitchencupboard with peanutbutter. Every morning we took out the lower drawer, and ... yes another one, or maybe even two! It must have been a huge family, or whole community that we have destroyed. Peter Pan peanutbutter works very well (now I think of it, I think it is too good for mice, much better than english peanutbutter)