What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, June 09, 2006

Nothing at all and Everything at once

We are busily preparing for some more company this weekend. Nate and Julie are coming to visit and we are anxious for their arrival. Not only are they some of the coolest people BUT they come bearing gifts! Namely, our PUPPY!! They have been caring for the little gal since they picked it up on Sunday. I hope she doesn't miss them when they leave. We still haven't decided on a name-and every time we ask Corynn she says she doesn't WANT it to have a name. She says, "No Mama! It's a dog!" As if having a name would replace it being a dog...silly child. Anyway-thank you Jean for giving us this puppy! It is a MOST precious gift!

Speaking of Corynn...she about broke my heart yesterday. After finishing on the potty, I was praising her for doing such a good job keeping her 'big girl' panties dry. And do you know what she said to me? She said, "Mama. I don't love you anymore." I could have cried right then and there! I know that she didn't MEAN it-goodness, she says she LOVES the mailman. And it wasn't due to any punishment or anything! I think she was just looking for a reaction. And she got one. We then had a converstaion about saying things in kindness and NEVER saying things in order to hurt people. And NEVER speaking to your parents that way because it is disrespectful. I think the saddest part of it all is that my sweet little girl is old enough to realize that some things are NOT nice to say, but she is willing to say them anyway for a reaction-at the expense of someone's feelings. She is human and I have to remember she is not an exception to the depravity of man. I am not ready for these 'grown up' issues. I can deal so much better with the 'don't touch this' and 'don't do that' superficial issues of a toddler.

Yesterday, Corynn and I finished the vegetable garden as we planted the beans. We had soaked them ovenight to speed up germination. As we planted I told Corynn the story of Jack and the Beanstalk. It is a true gift, to tell stories in the oral tradition, and sadly, one that I don't possess. It made me think back to my childhood when my Opa (grandfather) would always be sharing stories with us. He is such a wonderful story teller... weaving the webs of words with such ease, captivating us with stories he had made up himself or the adventures of his younger years. Whether sitting in a chair or walking down the lane, he always had a captivated audience. And he was not bound by the words on a page.

Well, there is much to be done before our company arrives tomorrow. In the house, in the kitchen, and outside. Tonight I am getting my herb dirt (Matt promised!) and we are heading to Wegmans to get LOTS of strawberries. They are all on sale (two 16 oz. packages for $3.00) and so strawberry jam-making is on my to-do for this weekend! This is a good thing because last year's supply is down to a measly half-used pint! I would LOVE to go strawberry PICKING but as of yet, no such place has come under my radar.

Oh-two more little tidbits. We have bird families everywhere! The empty hummingbird nest is no longer empty. I saw a bird in it this morning-and quickly grabbed Corynn so we could watch the happenings. The sweet thing buried herself down so far into the belly of the nest that all you could see was the tail. I am not sure if it was a hummingbird though-but if it wasn't it was VERY small! And yesterday, an abandoned nest above the doorway to our garage had some new occupants as well! The bird startled me when it flew away. Of course, since there haven't been birds in it, I hadn't approached it quietly or with ease. I wasn't able to tell the type of bird, it flew so fast. Most likely a tufted titmouse, since they are EVERYWHERE! Corynn and I set out a birdfeeder close to the nest for some available snacking. We have been waiting for Matt to put up a pully system by our dining room window so we didn't bother putting one up before this. But with feathered inhabitants all around us, we might as well get one out-even if it isn't in the 'perfect' spot!

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Mmm! I so look forward to this time of year for all the berry picking! I don't know if this will help you (I am not sure what county you are in!), but here is a site that lists some pick-your-own places: http://www.pickyourown.org/ (If there is a way to make a quick link on comments, I don't know how, sorry!) You can also look in your phone book and call local farms. Nothin' like picking berries yourself! The ones in the stores usually come from Watsonville, CA. When Dave and I were out in CA, Watsonville was just up the road. Their strawberry growing season was sooooo long!! We would drive past the strawberry fields with our windows down and smell them so strong! :D

Wendy said...

Hi Rebecca, You know another fun thing to do with the birds is to cut little scraps of neon colored yarn and put it on your window sill or porch and the birds will take it and make their nest with it...and it is fun to see your yarn in one of their nests!!!
Strawberries do sound really delicious!!! I have been thinking that it would be nice to make some freezer jam since we have more freezer space than pantry space.

Leah said...

Rebecca,

Sounds like you're busy! We're also preparing for company this weekend! John, Abby and their girls; Dave, Michelle, and their boys; and Dave K. are all coming over for a cook-out and bon-fire! We sure wish you were closer so you could come too! We'll miss you!

A great place to find all kinds of pick-your-own veggies and fruits as well as farm markets, etc. is www.localharvest.org . You may just find a place close to you!

Congrats on the puppy and the herb dirt! I've got my herb dirt but it keeps raining! Argh! can't wait to get my herb garden planted!

Anonymous said...

hey my friend! i just wanted to pop in and say hi. i hope you have a lovely time with your company.
: )

Carmichael Family said...

How fun to be getting a puppy! What kind of dog is it? I'm sure Corynn will come up with some kind of name once he/she arrives (or you could just call it dog ;) What a lovely price for strawberries! My children all love them, I was reading Michelle's comment above and I just might try to find one of those pick your own berry places in Watsonville, since we only live about an hour's drive from there and it might be fun for the kids since we don't have much of a garden.

betsy said...

Your story of Corynn reminds of something my daughter Charity said when she was about 2. I was having a crazy day, but had finally gotten around to doing my hair (close to dinner time) and I came downstairs and Charity looked at me and said, "Mommy, you look ugly." It really made me feel bad, since it was the first time all day that I'd been feeling put together (I had three children two and under at the time), and I really did almost fall apart at that point. Fortunately Doug was there to talk to her about it and make me feel better, I don't know what I would have done otherwise...