What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Soapboxes and other avenues of crafting

The next installment of our virtual tour one would naturally assume to be the living room, but I am surprising even myself with spontaneity! I didn't want to post pictures of the living room until I pick up and hang a GIRLIE picture that we just purchased from Kirklands-one of my all-time-most-favoritist-wonderful stores ever! So I was going to move on to the bathroom but it just so happens that today I FINISHED my craft room and just looking at it gives me a great sense of joy. So-we are SKIPPING the living room and detouring to the craft room.

Our home is a three bedroom and so of course, with two children it would work out perfectly for each to have their own room. Except I don't know that that WOULD be an ideal situation. I have always believed children SHOULD share rooms and toys and that doing so will result in several things:

1) You need less toys (and OTHER STUFF) to fill up individual rooms.
2) By having less toys-children learn not only to share, but that they are not ENTITLED to 'their OWN stuff'.
3) They share an intimate bond with one another that perhaps they would not have if they had their OWN rooms to themselves.

Now I realize, that the older you become that things change a bit and there may be a time when individual rooms is GREAT. And especially boys and girls-Corynn and Andrew won't be able to share FOREVER but for now, WHY would we WASTE usable space for a newborn who could care LESS and actually PREFERS to be close to others?!?! This is why we chose (actually Matt insisted-what a guy!) that I have my own craft room. One day, either because our two-bedroom 'shoe' cannot accommodate such the vast amount of children (hehehe) or our children grow old enough to benefit from seperate rooms. Whatever the reason, I know now and will prepare myself to give up my craft room if the need should arise, but let me tell you! I have never HAD a real craft room before-I have always made due with the dining room table and eating haphazardly until my project was done. What sheer joy it is to have a room all to myself! So, without further ado...

1 comment:

Leah said...

Rebecca,

Your craft room looks wonderful!!! And it's so spacious! I just know you're really going to enjoy it! A craft room all to myself is a LONG way off for me. ;) With a two-bedroom mobile home there will barely be enough room for my craft supplies let alone a whole room just for them!

Thanks so much for the letter! :) You'll be getting a return letter soon!