What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Gumption. (Or not.)

Quality time for us is splitting wood together.
which we did on Saturday.

With  helpers.

Who, by the end, thought they were gonna die. 






The snowflakes are falling again from the sky, as they have many times this winter so far, but this time they are so tiny and so vast that you barely see that it is snowing- rather, it is more like a foggy haze that causes one to wonder Are they snowflakes?  Or is it fog? 

The deep snow that cascaded into the tops of my boots this morning attests to the former.

Matt is away again for ANOTHER entire week- a double header!  This time, to Colorado (Hi Mandie!  I begged him to bring me so I could see you but he wouldn't!  xox!).  He is cruel and mean to leave me twice and I won't forgive him until he gets back safely.

What this means, my friends, is that we are, quite literally, SNOWED IN because while I have learned many things since becoming Matt's wife, one thing that I have not yet learned is how to run a tractor.  The driveway will remain unplowed until he comes home and I will hope that any amount of depth in the snow will simply act as an extra insulation for the house. 

All is as well as can be considering my better half has been MIA from my life for two weeks straight though.  Our quality time between last weeks' trip out of town and this one consisted of a Saturday splitting wood together and a Sunday drive into church...which, admittedly, is a long one. 

We have enough wood.  We have enough food. I can be happily stranded in my own home for as long as is necessary.   Being 'stuck' at home is actually, in my mind, always pleasant, since this tends to be my favorite place to be anyhow.

The biggest problem that I am having right now is that I have struck my Mattie-is-gone brick wall in which I feel completely uninspired to do anything at all.   The irony of this, of course, is that now is when I could be most productive if given a bit of gumption.  Cook?  no.  Do school?  don't wanna.  Write letters?  Too depressing.  Make soap?  Nah. 

I could probably finish oodles of projects, write tons of letters, begin all those oft pushed aside (because there is never enough to do them) things that I neglect all the rest of the time. But no.  I just want to wear my pink bathrobe and will the time to pass more swiftly.  Can it be time for bed yet?  It's a good thing there are no doughnuts in the house...I would eat my weight of them.

Somehow, I have to rally up some initiative.  Get a bit of gumption.  Pull myself up by my bootstraps.

Or maybe...I could just go back to bed.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Adorable! I am the same way when my husband is out of the house. Deployments kinda make time stop, luckily he doesn't have to go on those any more. His new job, however, might have him going away for weeks at a time... *sigh*

Rhonda said...

It's ok to take a day or two off, I bet by tomorrow or the next you will feel like doing stuff.

Tracy said...

Working toward a common goal really cements relationships, don't you think? I love working alongside Verne. I JUST linked to last Friday's financial post. I'm so far behind!

Full of Grace said...

Oh Rebecca..I am sorry! As Bob says you will be fine, you are tough. So you will be fine, Bob says so (he is such a man) ;) I know you are tough and you will be fine, but I am so glad Matt has you for a wife..You are definitely God's match for each other! :) Have a good snowday- stay warm and enjoy it a little bit!

Rebecca said...

Kimberly- deplyment? See? Now that is perspective. I don't know how I would survive! Thanks for giving me something to be thankful for when I wasn't feeling very thankful.

Rhonda- not sure I will feel like it- but around here there is always stuff that HAS to be done, so I guess I will just focus on that and push through. Actually, I was more productive today that I originally thought I would be!

Tracy- oooh! Thanks! I'll pop over later!

Elizabeth- I am glad you both have confidence in me. Me? I'm not so sure! ;-) Hope you are staying warm too!

BajaManna said...

Ah, a shed full of split wood - now THAT is true wealth!