What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Making Spirits Bright

Moses woke me up at 3am this morning, for whatever reason, and didn't fall back to sleep until 4:45 which is a death knell to any chance of my falling back to sleep since I usually am up by 5 or 5:30 anyway.

No matter.

I like early mornings like this- quiet, dark, slumbery- at least until I start to feel hit by a mack truck around suppertime.  ;-)

What to do?  What to do?  Why, blog of course!




Neighbor treat-making with my girl

When Mama says you may have ONE bite and you have to inspect the whole tray for the PERFECT one.


That horrible moment when you feel sure you are going to ruin the whole thing when you paint on a face.


A nativity production put on in a barn, surrounded by sheep and calves.  Made me feel like I had jumped into the world of Tasha Tudor.





Ineke wanted to make presents.




When you are too lazy to actually dehydrate orange slices- you hang them up juicy.  It totally works.  (And they do dry...just naturally!)



 

handmade and delivered from a friend- isn't this arrangement so stunning?

It is all very Christmas-y 'round here.  Lots of making happening.  Lots of yummy treats.  Lots of scurrying, lots of bustle.  Lots of smiling at strangers.  Lots of Christmas music and movies.  Lots of trying to squeeze lots of things in a short amount of time.  Lots of messes.  But it is all very good.  I love every minute of it.  And miraculously, it is all working all pretty well!  

I hope these days leading up to Christmas are full to the brim of good things for your family too.  Do whatever it takes to make spirits bright.  Smile!  Laugh!  Play games.  Eat fudge.  Turn off the news.  Whatever you do, do it JOLLY.  

As you can see from the many pictures of her, Ineke has entered into the inevitable 'kitchen helper phase'.  She is ready to roll up her sleeves every time I enter the kitchen.  She's been helping me make lots of treats and goodies for family and friends.  But not today!  

Today is her BIRTHDAY and today the treats are made in secret!  

3 comments:

Ulli said...

Happy birthday, Ineke!

Beautiful photos, and a wonderfully joyful post! Love all your snow--it makes the perfect winter scene. Merry Christmas, Newman Family.

ps--please tell me how to pronounce Ineke's name. It's so pretty, and I don't think I'm saying it right in my head.

beth said...

every photo you shared here is glorious. soul-filling. both here and in the mail (joy!), thank you for sharing your words and precious glimpses of your life. ever grateful ~beth

Abigail said...

Those two pictures next to each other are my favorites-- Moses befriending the tree and Ineke in front of the chalkboard, crinkly eyes in full force. This is a beautiful life!