What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Sudsy

When something doesn't work out the way I intend for it to, it irks me.  So when I decided to make a batch of soap for a supply of ready-made and Christmas gifts (yes, still working on that resolution to make a gift a month) and it doesn't work out like I had envisioned, I get all stubborn-like and refuse to move on until it does.

I will not be bested by soap.

The result?  LOTS of bars of soap, from LOTS of different batches and several different recipes.  I am not entirely pleased with any of it- not enough scent, needed to be rebatched, not sudsy enough, etc.  but I don't plan to stop until my lye runs out or I find a consistently reliable and wonderfully scented soap.

I will not be bested by soap.

The good news? We now have lots of reject soap to keep ourselves clean. 

 It should last us a good 10 years or so since it can be like pulling teeth to have certain of my children bathe.  

I mean, I am not one of those mothers that insists on daily tubs...but weekly is not too much to ask, right?  golly.

By the look of the last soap batches' dirty dishes, this soap recipe might be a winner!

9 comments:

Kara said...

They are beautiful soaps! I wish I could be as good of a homemaker as you. I will live vicariously through you. As for the kid soaps, are you able to put rubber ducks or little items in the soap? Maybe they would be a little less resistant to bathing if they could use the soap until the toys bobble out of them. Just a suggestion. 🤗 I love your soaps!
~Kara van Doesburg (I’m not Dutch but my husband is 100% Dutch if you can’t tell by the name..lol)

Unknown said...

Your soaps are beautiful! Very impressive.

Rebecca said...

Kara- You are very kind and generous to give such a nice compliment... and with a day like my yesterday was, it was great to hear, so thank you! But the truth of the matter is, I bet you are every bit as good as I am! I fail pretty miserably at it a whooooole lot- remember, you just see the pictures I want to post! ;-) But thank you for the encouragement!

Your suggestion made me laugh out loud because I am envisioning putting little rubber duckies into soaps in order to lure my teen/ preteen boys to the shower. ha! Maybe MONEY would work? ;-)

Unknown- thank you!

Kara said...

Oh, the older kids... lol. Yes, dollar bills may work (or get out of chore tickets) 😂

CL said...

You could find a good soap recipe from the Royalty Soaps YouTube channel.

Rebecca said...

Great suggestion CL- thank you!

Abigail said...

After reading this post, I'm not going to try either of the recipes you emailed me until you hit upon The Soap Recipe. Then, I'll nag you until you share it with me. ;)

Leah said...

If it's any consolation, the sudsiness of soap isn't an indication of how well it will clean your body. BUT I hope you find a favorite sudsy recipe!

And you've motivated me to find my lye and get some soap made this month! <3

terricheney said...

I am not a homemade soap maker, but I would be thrilled if anyone gave me gifts of what you call rejects. They are beautiful!