What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Confetti



I mentioned our Easter had a bit of 'tragic' in it and here it is, in it's fullblown glory.

I was rushed and went to put the teakettle on to boil when I mistakenly turned on the wrong burner...the one, coincidentally, that was holding one of my favorite blueware oven dishes. I realized my error once I smelled the offensive fumes, and quickly moved the dish.

Matt came over, his shirt off from getting his hair cut, and went to move it off the stove altogether when in mid-air the thing shattered into a gazillion, scalding hot pieces.

The shards of glass spread even into the dining room and hallway!

We both stood there, shocked, and a moment passed before it even registered what had happened.

Immediately, I began crying. Matt, surprisingly, remained calm and supportive.

The children are ALWAYS underfoot-they are our shadows-but by God's grace, they happened to be in the living room.

Matt's whole upper torso was exposed and he was nearest to the explosion (since he was the one holding it) and yet he didn't get scratched OR burned by it.

So-there is much to be thankful for.

But. I lost my blue dish. That was not fun.

What was supposed to be meal prep for the evening dinner was actually spent cleaning up the kitchen of glass remnants. That was not fun.

In fact, when I swept up the pieces, I had to pluck many off the linoleum by hand because they had burned holes into it and melted themselves into it.

And now-we have to replace the linoleum in the kitchen-in a house that isn't our own. And THAT is not going to be fun.

Below are the burnmarks all over the floor. :-(


But again. It might easily have been more tragic than the simple fright and inconvenience that it turned out to be. For that, I am so VERY thankful.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh, I can't imagine how scary that must have been, Rebecca! I am thanking God for his protection!
Hugs,
Kelli

Abigail said...

Yikes! I've broken lots of glass in my time, but never in so spectacular a fashion!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad know one was hurt!!!
We had a smiler thing happen years ago to, very scary!
((hugs))
Kim