What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, March 21, 2008

Sew Crafty, Gift addition


I realize that this post is a tad out of order in the whole grand 'vacation' scheme of things, but I waited to post these photos until Sew Crafty Friday, in order to participate in it.

I was completely absent from blogging the week that I was in Indiana, but two weeks before I left, I rarely made an appearance either. Here is the reason why...

I was making host/hostess gifts!


For the HOSTESS, I made a coordinated purse and hat. This fabric I bought on sale for $1.00 a YARD at Joann Fabrics in the fall. I bought enough to make MANY purses so you'll probably be seeing more of these! ;-)


The purse and hat are lined with this striped material-and I made a few pockets for the purse.


Here is Little Miss, modeling the hat.



Our host family also have a son who I thought would appreciate this crayon roll. So I made him one and got a coloring book to go with it.


Oh-and I eventually found the Panda's crayon roll too! Phew!

The whole vacation was based upon me meeting a 'virtual' friend in real, bonafide life so I thought it would be nice to make each of her children something. I made them all a coordinated article of clothing. For the girls, pillowcase dresses and for the boy, I dressed up a storebought Polo shirt.


I made a 3D applique sail that COULD double as a small pocket. Maybe.


The baby dress was hemmed with lace, the toddler dress I made some pretty stitching to line the bottom. The material was actually one single curtain panel. I have enough left over that I plan to make a dress set for Corynn and her dolly, Laura, and do something similar with a shirt for Andrew. Someday. The curtain panel was $3.00. I guess spending that much for 6 outfits is a pretty good deal, wouldn't you say?!? ;-)


Among the stitching I did, the last day before my departure, I also did some candy-making for the HOST. After all, men don't often appreciate sewed items! Cashew brittle, peanut butter fudge, and dark chocolate covered homemade caramel were among the fixings. Sometime next week I will be updating my recipe blog...so be on the lookout for a brittle recipe!

Now, perhaps you will understand why I was pretty silent a few weeks ago! ;-) For more craftiness, visit Shereens blog, Waiting for Him.

17 comments:

Terri said...

Rebecca,

Oh my! The bag and hat are gorgeous. I love the fabric. The dresses and shirt are just as cute. Great job and welcome back :-)!

Anonymous said...

The bag and hat are indeed gorgeous, and I will always treasure being he owner and recipient of these wonderful gifts. Thanks a lot Rebecca. Your visit was all and more than I hoped it would be. I am sure you and Jean will treasure the memories for years to come. I hope the guys can meet some day, but all in God's timing. Thanks for all our treasured and homemade gifts.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Wow, if I knew you gave such beautiful hostess gifts, I would have invited you to stop by my house. :)

Tracy said...

Wow! You were a great guest! I'm sure that they were surprised and thrilled!

Mom2fur said...

Oh, my gosh, where did you find the time????? Everything is like something from a boutique! You were really lucky to find such beautiful fabric for such a great price. Most clearance fabric is kind of...clearancy.
You really do have to make your daughter a hat just like that, LOL!

Anonymous said...

love, love, love everything! A few questions... is there a pillow case dress tutorial, they look really cute. As for your purses, how do you get them to stand up, mine are soooo floppy. I even tried some interfacing in the last one and it didn't do anything... I can't tell by the picture but are you using heavier fabric? Anyway, I would love to know!
Toni
The Happy Housewife
http://happyhousewife.wordpress.com

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! Everything is SO BEAUTIFUL! You are wildly talented- I am in awe!

Bonnie said...

Love it all! Great gifts, and what pattern did you use for the hat and purse? oh, and the crayon roll?
I am taking a break at the moment from my sewing: my Easter dress- a sleeve, the facings and hem to go. Tomorrow, I tackle Audreys dress.

Anonymous said...

I love all these goodies!! Your such a great seamstress.

Andie said...

You are so very talented...I now have the itch to go make something for my girls. I have some adorable "fishy" fabric that I've had for about 2 years and just didn't know what to do with it...I think I'll make the girls some pillow-case dresses to use as swimsuit cover-ups! I'm also thinking about some sort of navy/white pattern dresses to match the cute polo my parents sent my Andrew...love dressing the kids in coordinating outfits! They are going to hate it before long, so I might as well do it now! :-)
You really should put some of these things in your etsy shop...they would be snatched up very quickly! As if you have the time! ;o)
Blessings-Andie

Andie said...

ok, to clarify...I know these things were made as gifts...I meant things like these! Sorry for confusion...
Andie

Jthemilker said...

These are all very lovely. You are so very talented!

Unknown said...

You clever, clever lady! How delighted all the recipients must have been. You are so talented!

Rebecca said...

Mrs. Bonnie~ the purse and hat pattern is from Butterick numbered B4823.

The crayon roll is a free tutorial online. The link is here:

http://skiptomylou.wordpress.com/2007/04/25/on-a-roll/

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, you have been busy. And such great projects, too. I simply love the pattern combination for the purse and hat. I'm sure the dresses and shirt will be a hit and the crayon roll is only too cute. I see you posted the link for the pattern so I will be skipping over there for a look-see. Thanks so much for sharing your handmade treasures.

Abigail said...

I now excuse your blog silence. You've redeemed yourself with these cool creations.

I love the hat and crayon rolls, especially!

Black Cat said...

Absolutely stunning! I shall look forward to reading the rest of your blog.