What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Saturday, March 01, 2008

March Madness

Inches are falling from the sky, once again, and the world again is white. Not quite the lush green, newly formed promises of future I have long been pining for. March, fickle and untamed, seems to have been created for one sole purpose: to humble we humans with the great truth that we are vastly inept and lacking any real ability to control ANYTHING~ much as we like to think differently.

To temper the hard blow to our ego, He graciously takes pity on our spirit and grants us a few choice tokens to give us some cheer once again.

This week, I woke to the most beautiful sound! Even before my eyes were ready to be wakened, my ears were perked with life; the birds were singing to me their morning songs! This is something I love most about this house and something I should dearly miss when we are to move.

As much as I love this house, it is not our own, and we won't stay here forever. In truth, not even for much longer. I don't know how much longer we will be living here or whether it will be weeks or months before we were to move, but I know the time is drawing closer.

The destroyed by fire (and thus far abandoned) apartments attached to this house have new life coming in and out of its door as construction guys, electricians, plumbers, and all manner of house builders float in and out each day. It began in November and has been a thorn in my side from the beginning.

Each day I grow to despise more and more, the dump truck taking up my driveway and tainting my view from within. I hate not being able to belt out songs at the top of my voice, for fear of the construction workers raising their eyebrows. I hate feeling awkward as the children and I trek outside to play, and these trips have noticeably dwindled. The familiar pounding of hammer and buzz of saw has disturbed countless rest times and have caused just as many headaches.

But as with most disturbances of the adult world, the children view these things with great fascination and find it all mysterious and thrilling. The other day, they became enamoured when they discovered men in our backyard.




There they perched, cheeks pushed to the cold glass, for more than 20 minutes, intent upon not missing a thing.



What were they staring at you ask? Electrical guys came to put in a new telephone pole, reaching to the apartment. In truth, it was kind of exciting for me too. Especially when I saw the size of that monstrous drill bit!



Within a half an hour, the job was done and Corynn kept exclaiming about how hard the men had worked to make it go fast (giving no credit to the machine's that were making it happen...)


I suppose there are the occasional, VERY rare, perks to having your house a constant construction zone.

6 comments:

Mom2fur said...

Well, at least for all the noise and the hassle, the kids had a 'show' to watch. I hope you find a better place to live, and soon. Still, no matter where you go there's always going to be 'something' you have to deal with. So you accentuate the positive, as the song goes.
Turn on the radio or the CD player and go ahead and sing! I sing in my car all the time. But, to be honest...I stop when I'm at a red light or when I think someone can see me. Not that I should care! Once, I was singing "Feliz Navidad" at a red light and this woman saw me. We caught each other's eyes and started cracking up!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,
I think you should sign anyway! :) One question totally off topic with this post....are you planning on updating how you did with your financial/budget goals in February? I so enjoyed your Janauary update and LOVE both Thrifty Florida Mom and Money Saving Mom thanks to you!

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,
UGH! That should be "sing" and not "Sign". :)

Melissa

Rebecca said...

Melissa~ THAT is a GREAT idea! And I almost forgot! Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

In 8 days you will be in Indiana. Then you can look out the window, run in the 3-acre yard with the kids and see nobody for 8 days unless you want to. It will be so much fun. We look so forward to your visit. The countdown continues!

Rebecca said...

It sure does! Super excited!