What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, March 10, 2008

Today is the Day





It's no longer days, but hours until the countdown ends and my child and camera-clad self steps aboard an airplane bound for Indiana.

I have been filled with conflicting emotion as the time draws nearer. Excitement and loneliness, all at the same time. I hate to leave my Mattie. It is like cutting out my heart and leaving it on the doorstep. Just the thought of saying goodbye gets my throat constricting and the tears flowing. I am going to be a basketcase at the airport. I just know it. Matt says "You have to be strong for the kids-if you cry, they will get scared" but before he finishes, I am bawling again. I am such a dork, but a lovestruck one.

Last night, we both tried to soak each other up and get our fill to sustain us through the week but no matter how tightly his arms wrapped around mine, or how tangled our legs became, it just didn't seem to be near ENOUGH. We were content to just hold one another and Matt's warm, shallow breaths on the back of my neck eventually lulled me to sleep.



It's been a busy week; most of the days have been spent running about from here to there~preparing, doing, copying, folding, zipping, shopping, writing, making and when my body was tired, I would sit and my mind would continue with it's work~mentally evaluating, storing away things I needed to remember, planning, preparing, trying to turn every stone so as not to forget anything. I don't know if the preparations for a week trip are often this time-consuming or if my fumbling about is due only to my lack of experience. From what I recall, this is the first time I have been away on vacation (not going to parents' houses for the weekend) since my HONEYMOON five years ago!!!

All the big tasks are done. I am almost entirely packed. Boarding passes are printed (who knew you could check in electronically and print your own boarding passes?!? Now that is cool!) Necessities have been bought, namely, a Martha Stewart magazine! :-) Love notes are written. The car cleaned. Laundry caught up and folded away nicely. Projects are finished. Don't-Forget lists, checked twice. Cellphones and camera batteries charged.

And yet: it seems there is still many teeny, easily forgettable tasks yet to be done! That is what this day will be filled up with.

Changing the sheets on the bed so Matt has something inviting to crawl into tonight.

Labeling the suitcases and tying a pretty ribbon or scarf around them.

Stuffing the children's backpacks with their surprises. (I got Corynn a disposable camera ALL HER OWN so she can document her trip all by herself! She'll go NUTS with it, I just know it!)

Getting the tax papers around for Matt's appointment this week.

Cleaning out and refilling my purse.

Putting all my sewing supplies away and cleaning up THAT tornado!!

Writing out the numbers Matt needs.

All that sort of thing. Itty bitty but still important jobs that need to be done.


It will be SO wonderful to step off of that plane at journey's end because when we safely arrive, I can fling off that heavy load of worry planted squarely on my shoulders presently and spend the rest of the week carefree.

I have been told that my Hostess has lots of fun things planned for us but she hasn't said what-which only adds to the mystery and intrigue. It is VERY fun not knowing what is in store~this is going to be a wonderful adventure and I am thrilled to have the opportunity for it.

This journey comes at the perfect time, too. Just when I could use a little pick-me-up from the winter-drearies, I get a DIVERSION! God's perfect timing.

I won't be posting here until Tuesday or Wednesday probably, and you ought to enjoy the silence while you can get it. I warn you now, knowing me, I will have a plane-load full of pictures to share upon my return.

Mattie~you'll no doubt read this after you return home from the airport. I hope I don't drench you too much with tears and blubbering! ;-)

As this very moment, somewhere in the heavens there are three little minds thinking of you, talking about you, and loving you completely. We will miss you utterly and completely, with our entire beings until we are again reunited and in each other's arms.

Think of us often, as we will think of you and know that though we are apart, three hearts are devoted to you forever.

I love you Mattie. More than life itself. I will count the moments until we can be together again.

13 comments:

Andie said...

Have a wonderful time. I know you will! Being away from your dearest one is always hard, but you will survive, and the reunion will be just amazing! As they always say, absence makes the heart grow fonder...or at least makes the reuinion better!

Blessings to you...have a fun time on your trip!

Andie

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Hmmm... perhaps it is in honor of your visit that we are having our first storm free week since early January?

smilnsigh said...

HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!

Yes, I am shouting. :-))))))))

Mari-Nanci

Mom2fur said...

Oh, please don't ever stop being in love like that! I want you mushing over Matt when you're both in your 90s, LOL!
Have a blessed and safe flight. And a wonderful time in Indiana! I'm sure the kids will have a blast!

Jean Marie Bibby said...

OH MY GOODNESS!

I got a little welcome gift for the kids and I got Little Miss a DISPOSABLE CAMERA for her to take her own pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited you're coming, but I know what it feels like to leave the love of your life. I'll be staying an extra week in July in Texas while Eric comes back home. (Sniff)
Don't forget to pack some snacks for the plane and sippy cups with water. I don't know if you can get them through check in, but you can always fill them up in a fountain before you board. They let you pre-board if you have small children, but we always wait because the less time you spend on the plane the better. It takes forever to finally take off.


AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE COMING!!!!!!!!

Jean Marie Bibby said...

Oh and by the way I wrote you a blog some time ago under ashereveals. I forgot you don't check it as often.

Rebecca said...

Jean Marie~ you know-if the girl is anything like me-I bet she'll use them BOTH up before the week is half over! ;-)

I am very excited to see you! Good suggestion about the snacks. I'll try it...

Quinne said...

Hi Rebecca :) Have a lovely time! I will be looking forward to reading about your adventures. Love and prayers, Q

Unknown said...

A disposable camera! She will love that. I was lucky enough to find an second-hand digital camera that takes rechargable batteries at the market for $20 last week -- Granny and Grandpa will give it to Boo for his birthday.

Kelli said...

Have a wonderful time, Rebecca! This was such a sweet post about how much you are going to miss your husband.
Hugs,
Kelli

Bonnie said...

Well shoot, I'm not even there and I'm getting choked up.
Braden went out west with his dad the year after we were married, and I held it together when he left(it was also 3 in the morning, so I was still half asleep), but there were lots of tears while he was gone! And then the sweet reunion when he was home- he talked his dad into driving straight through just so he could be home sooner!
BTW- that black and white family photot is great!

Abigail said...

Have fun, you sap, you! (I'd miss John, too, so I guess I shouldn't throw stones...)

Anonymous said...

I'm a friend of Alyssa (resolved2worship) and found you through her site a long time ago. I saved your link and just ran across it again. Your family is BEAUTIFUL and so you seem to be from the inside-out. I'm in my first year of marriage and expecting our first child, and I love your "homey" site and the varying interests you have. Also noticed you live in "rural Pennsylvania" - I just moved to the Baltimore MD area from the south, so not too far from you. Just a note to say, God Bless you! Have a great weekend.

xanga.com/angiearmour