What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, December 09, 2005

It's a choice.

Frustrations Abound. But as with everything in life...you have a choice to wallow in pity and completely shut down OR embrace your problems as a challenge that you WILL overcome.

Last night I was stuck in the first rut. Now, I have moved on to look on my concerns as a challenge. Here they are...

FRUSTRATION #1:
Last nights' dinner was a serious flop. I was so organized and had everything planned and timed perfectly. We were to eat at 6:00...everything was done by the time our guests had arrived at 5:00. I was able to enjoy their company without hiding away in the kitchen. At six, everything was ready and on the table. I was just taking the main dish from my roaster oven to put in a nice platter when I realized...the beef wasn't cooked! I don't know WHAT happened. I did everything 'by the book' and had it roasting with AMPLE time (it roasted for 2 hours which was MORE than it called for in the roasting instruction book. I ended up frying some SLICES of it (GROSS!) and putting the rest in the oven. THen, at the table I realized the cabbage hadn't fully cooked. Everything else I made was good-but since the beef and cabbage was the main dish, it is hard not to consider the whole meal a TOTAL and utter FLOP. Thankfully, I redeemed myself with my dessert. (I posted the recipe for you to enjoy if you so choose...)

It seems like EVERY time we have company over, my meals (meals that are without a hitch when I just serve them to Matt) conspire against me and laugh at me when I serve the results. We had company over a while ago-and the chicken was so DRY it was pathetic.

I am a great baker. I have never had anything but rave reviews on my desserts: pies, cakes, cookies, candy, you name it. But when it comes to cooking...I need some serious help. Not because I can't cook (although I fully admit I am still in the learning stages...it certainly doesn't come NATURAL to me) but because for some reason: under pressure SOMETHING happens. If I DID have cooking as second nature, I would have known BEFORE I cooked the beef for two hours and planned on it being done in two hours that it would take FOUR hours. But I don't.

My challenge now is to overcome and outwit this corned beef. When my sister had problems with her bread machine, I encouraged her to break it out every week and try and try again until she conquered it and made something delicious. Now I am taking my own advice. When I go grocery shopping, I will buy more corned beef. I will cook it until it is RIGHT. I will keep buying it until I prepare it perfectly. I will not be conquered by the corned beef! :-)

My challenge for the future is to become as knowledgable as I can be in the kitchen so that I can teach Corynn how to cook BEFORE she is married. That way, she doesn't struggle when it really matters.

FRUSTRATION #2:

The other day I stumbled on a blog about classical education. Since I plan to homeschool, and we are thinking classical education might be the way to go, I was very interested in reading the many resources available from this womans' blog. It was a great blog-don't get me wrong! But very quickly I became very overwhelmed. I have been very worried lately about this whole homeschooling thing and so rather than helping me, all those resources hindered my efforts. I feel like I am drowning in 'what-if's' or 'how-to's'. I know some of you may think I am silly to worry about homeschooling a two year old. But I am not worried about homeschooling a two year old. I am worried about homeschooling a four or five year old....and then on from there. I was never homeschooled so I don't have that memory to look to. I can't look to my mother for advice or even as an example. I am comepletely clueless as to how I will have TIME to devote to Corynn's studies when my days are busy NOW. Not to mention any other children I will have! I don't know how I will organize concepts and themes; how I will read the amount of books to and with my children as is necessary; how I will sort through the vast amount of resources to actually find something to work with; how I will be able to teach more than one child. How much time do you devote to each child? Each subject? How many hours of schooling a day? There are so many questions I have but no answers. At one time, I thought because curriculum was so expensive, I would just make my own. I know now that, at this point-I am NOT capable of that. I will NEED a curriculum to follow. But, will a curriculum tell me all I need to know? All the topics I should cover that year? How am I supposed to know that stuff?

No. I am not worried about homeschooling a two year old...but now is the time to get my act together and at least have myself prepared for the schooling years. As with cooking-I didn't learn how to cook until I was thrust into the role of wife. I had no clue and so my husband had to watch me flounder (and still does occasionally-prime example was last night). NOW is the time to learn this stuff. I need to KNOW what to do and how to do it when the time comes-because I will not waste precious schooling years trying to 'figure it out'. If I can't do simple things with Corynn now-how will I be able to prepare myself for the VERY large change of homeschooling?

So-now I am faced with a decision. Do I shrivel up and forget the whole idea? I wish. If there were not so many repercussions to my decision...I would be tempted. I can completely understand why people give up. Homeschooling is confusing and very overwhelming. Especially to those of us just diving in-having had no experience with it before. But it is more complicated that that. Matt and I feel homeschooling is best in so many ways-and we are not willing to forget the responsibilities the Lord has given to us in raising a child. We can't afford a Christian school-and wouldn't use one anyway, given the choices in our area. So-homeschooling is our only option. I can't be tempted to give up before I even begin. I know many concerns I have seem silly and that I am working myself up for nothing. Twenty years from now, homeschooling will be so ingrained in my head that I will laugh at my feelings now. But that doesn't help NOW.

No-my choice is to embrace my fears with gusto and learn as much as I can NOW. For a couple reasons: So I can feel empowered. Prepared to teach. Excited to teach. So in a few years, when it is time to really 'school' Corynn...we will BOTH be ready. And because...if I don't get answers to these questions, being overwhelmed will turn to desperation and then I will convince myself I can't do it. And I can. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. My focus will be shifted from Christ to my insecurities and who brings those about? SO I embrace this as a challenge and I pray that if any of you have answers to any of my questions, you might be willing to share them. Because I am telling you-I need answers, now more than ever.

14 comments:

flacius1551 said...

Corned Beef: sounds like maybe the thermostat or some other part of your oven might be broken.

Homeschooling: you don't have to be perfect right at the beginning. It sounds like half the battle for you will be scheduling, but your blog suggests you are great at scheduling! And as your child gets older, you will also grow as a teacher and mother. You will figure it out.

Michelle said...

Oh, Rebecca! I can understand your frustrations! I am right there with you. We, too, are going to homeschool, but neither one of us have ever been homeschooled ourselves! I went to public school, my husband went to Catholic school... The amount of curriculums IS overwhelming!

I, for one, would not like a boxed curriculum where they tell me what to do, at least not in the early grades. It's pretty simple to teach what they have to know in the early stages. Have you ever checked this site? It has a ton of info on it, and the last time I checked, it had a guide where you could tell what you should be aiming for teaching in each grade: http://homeschooling.about.com/

About the food... I do that, too. I think it's the pressure. Although, with the corned beef, I would've done the same thing as you did and followed the directions. Who would've known? Was it a bigger cut of meat than what the directions called for?

In trying to get the kids involved in chores and things around the house (instead of popping in a video!), I often have Matthew help me make pancakes in the morning. He is soooo eager to help, though, that I find myself keeping him in line and forgetting to put some ingredient in! One time, it was the baking soda and baking powder. I poured four pancakes out, and noticed that they didn't "poof" up... Hmm.. Then, I remembered!

Hey, we're learning! Don't be too hard on yourself. You have a good outlook on things, and that will help immensely!

Rebecca said...

Thanks you Flacius and Michelle. You both made me feel better... really. I think I just needed a teeny bit of reassuring words. As for the corned beef, who knows? The roaster said to put it in for 15-20 minutes per pound at 300 degrees. It was 3 1/2# so technically, it should have been done in about 1 1/2 hours. I rounded up for good measure. Either the thermostat was broken-or the other thing I am thinking may have happened is that I put it in our enclosed backporch/mudroom which is not insulated. Perhaps because it was fighting the cold temperatures, it didn't work as well? Who knows.

Homeschooling:

I wanted to clarify for EVERYONE who read my blog (not just Michelle and Flacius), before they thought I had a baby bootcamp over here. I am NOT officially 'SCHOOLING" Corynn here for extended periods of time, nor am I FORCING her to have 'learn time'. I DO realize she is only two years old and I DO want her to be 'just a kid'. That said, she is ANXIOUS to do whatever I hand her and to learn anything, but at this point, I don't MAKE her do anything. Basically, I spend about 10-15 minutes a day reviewing colors, drawing, coloring, or making a craft that will allow teaching colors, shapes, etc. She doesn't even know she is being taught! She is having too much fun! I read to her bedtime stories or if she asks me to during the day. The rest of the things she learns are just from teachable moments throughout the day-when I offer the color of what she is holding or if I answer a quesiton or expound upon one of her statements. I didn't want you all to think my poor girl was being forced to be TAUGHT for a ridiculous amount of time each day. That is insane. She is being 'allowed' to be just a baby...I am not forcing anything on her. The concerns I was speaking of are not for NOW, they are for when she IS old enough to 'do school'. Curriculum is not for now but for in a few YEARS. Right now, I just want to know WHAT I will teach her and HOW when she NEEDS to be officially taught. The blog I referred to in my post, that mohter had her curriculum in place for all her kids up until 2008! Just as she knows where she is heading, I want to have SOME idea where I am heading and how I will get there. You know? Just thought I would qualify here since I seem to have come across as something I am not. No baby bootcamp here, I promise. :-)

Michelle said...

Hi Rebecca! I don't think you have to clarify anything about homeschooling. I understood perfectly what you meant by curriculum, etc... (In a few YEARS!) I think most people would get that, too.

Like you, though, I AM looking at curriculums or what needs to be taught so I can be prepared when the time does come to homeschool. I think that's what we all have to do, if we're serious about it. With public school, you can sit back and let the teachers teach (well, that's what they call it, anyway!) the kids. With homeschooling, you need to do some legwork and thinking to know what you want to go with.

I gave you that website (which I hope you'll check out), because I like it and it has helped me to understand what, say, a kindergartener should know, etc. In my opinion, I still wouldn't go for a boxed curriculum, but that's just ME!! :) My good friend needs one. Maybe that is what will help you. Hey, if you come across any good resources, send 'em my way. I will send you things to help out, too, if you'd like, in the search for homeschooling material.

We still aren't sure what "type" of homeschooling we'd fall under. I once thought I would be an "Unschooler" all the way, but now am not so sure!

Dave's dad and stepmom homeschool their children, so they've been of help to us in suggesting resources, too.

Matthew is just like Corynn-anxious to learn and DO things! Sometimes I truly wonder if I'll be able to keep up with him... If I try to have him just play with toys or watch a video, he will soon be into things because he wants to LEARN. He doesn't want to veg! LOL :)

Anonymous said...

Michelle & Rebecca,

Please send your homschooling resources my way, too! ;) I think I'm somewhat prepared having been homeschooled myself but there is just so much information out there and so much to learn!

I think Scott and I will be doing a combination of many different "types" of homeschooling; classical, Charlotte Mason, unit studies, unschooling, life style of learning, etc. I'm definitely not the "curriculum in a box"-type preson. We will go with the flow and continue to adapt until we find exactly what works for us!

Regina said...

Hello ladies! For those of you who are considering a "loose" curriculum for preschoolers, I would highly suggest Five in a Row. They don't do book work at all for this. You just read the book (ie: Goodnight Moon) and do different things with them every day within the realm of their interest levels as well as within their understanding. You just talk like you normally would with them about the "green" wall, the "orange" picture, the "yellow" bedspread....stuff like that. I've used it with my kids and it's so easy and fun. It takes just a few minutes to do each day it's almost sinful, but they learn!

As for the cooking/baking problem, the thermostat sounds like it's the problem to me too. :)

Regina said...

I totally forgot to leave the web address for Five in a Row!

Here it is: http://www.fiveinarow.com/

Blessings,
Regina

Rebecca said...

Michelle~
Oh, I am SO glad you think I didn't give the wrong impression. It is good to know I am not fretting over everything. I am also glad to hear that you encourage Matthew to participate in cooking and stuff. I think it is important for boys to learn to cook and clean just like girls (not to the same extent, of course.) It prepares them for life, encourages respect and discipline of things that they have, and it helps you out also. Like you said with Matthew, and with COrynn also-it can be hard because they want to be SO helpful. Sometimes I get impatient because I could do it much faster if I did it myself...but then I put a bit more patience on for the good of her growing up. :-)

As for curriculum, I don't like being boxed in either. If I were to use a curriculum (which I am leaning towards just because of my insecurities) I will certainly not LIMIT myself to just that. But it will serve as a base. My desire would be to use a curriculum until I get the hang of it and become comfortable with it, then make it myself. Curriculums are just so expensive. It's too bad that we have to pay school taxes without having our kids in schools. We could use THAT money for OUR schools!
Thanks for the website. I did check it out-for quite a while last night. I especially liked looking at the photo's of homeschool areas. One person had two kitchens (like you) and converted one of them to the homeschool area. It was perfect for storage, a work table, and s ink for messy science projects. I know you are using it for laundry and a closet-but maybe you could have it serve MULTI-purposes!
Oh-one more thing. What exactly is UNSCHOOLING?

Leah~
Any resources I find will be put here on my blog. It must be very nice to have the experience already to look back on. When do you plan to start John? DO you plan to prepare a year's worth of lesson plans before you start, or will you just figure your lessons out throughout the year?

Regina!
Thank you for posting your comment on my blog! I didn't even know you checked it! I have missed you from CMOMB, but my computer time is so limited, I just don't have time to do EVERYTHING. As it is, after Christmas, the internet will be limited to me only on weekends! I have truly missed your wonderful advice and perspectives...believe it or not, yours most of all. I am so glad I might still get it every once in a while! :-) I will check out your site right after I finish posting. I know your kiddo's are older than preschool-but this question pertains to older kids too. Do you make a weekly trip to the library to get all the books for the week? I am SURE I don't have all the books I need, but the library in our small town has NO offerings. Just curious...

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
We are using Abeka for a base for subjects. We use it in the morning...it doesn't take us long at all at this point to cover the little lessons. Then I allow Elizabeth time to do her seatwork. During the time I allow Sammy to play with counting bears or linking cubes or do a coloring page or whatever. We are simply trying to teach Sam his colors in an informal way and how to count to ten. Nothing too big since he's only 2.5. Nathan loves to do what his big sister does so he sits in on many of my lessons with her. He has begun to read (he's 4 years 3 months now)because of watching me work with her. In the afternoons we do fun stuff ...unit studies, etc... Nothing too heavy either but I don't think most of the time they realize we are actually doing stuff that could be conidered school. We have done units on fall, thanksgiving, etc... this year so far in the afternoon. We do LOTS of reading through the day, crafts, hands on stuff. I use the Abeka mainly to cover basic subjects like phonics, etc... in a systematic way. I was writing a ton of lessons myself (I was a teacher before kids) but then it got too overwhelming the more kids I had. This is what works well for our family. I still get to plan the units yet I also know that if things get crazy with sick kids, etc...that I have the Abeka to count for school too and that they are learning well. So you dont have to go totally with or without a curriculum. You can do both if that is what makes you comfortable. I have a ton of preschool links that are either HSing or can be adapted for HSing...mostly alot of activities. I will try to get them posted on my blog this week for you. Any questions just email me and I'll be glad to answer them.
Jen

Anonymous said...

I can't help with your cooking troubles, because I can't cook *at all*. honestly, it is a scary thing when i get into the kitchen. But with the homeschooling questions, i can help with that. Can I set you up with a free one year subscription to The Old Schoolhouse Magazine? It is really packed with a lot of helpful info. Email me and I will get you set up. JenIG@TheHomeschoolMagazine.com
PS Thanks for leaving a comment on my page. :)

Brenda said...

Rebecca
Remember the Lord wants us to teach our children all day long with life long lessons. Homeschooling is not recreating school within the home but it is a way of life, learn how to learn as we live life everyday.

Have you ever heard of Marilyn Howshall? She puts out LOL lifestyle of learning. It is all about learning as God instructs us to which there is a verse in His word speaking of this way. I forget the verse right now but the jist is to teach them all throughout the day. I believe the verse is in Deut where it says to teach them all day long when you rise up as you go throughout your day and as you lie down. The idea is we should be teaching them all throughout our day as we live life and learn through lifes lessons.

With 8 children I can tell you that is the best way of teaching. I have tried so many ways and my children and myself have been most successful doing it Gods way. I am not saying all the other ways are wrong and are not Gods ways but I am saying that God knew what He was talking about when He instructed us to teach in the manner I just mentioned. It is just a wonderful way of learning and you retain it that way so much more. There are a few things you need to do formerly but being your student to teacher ratio is so low they will not take up much time at all.

Don't fret dear sister for God will give you guidance for what he wants you to teach your children and He will direct your paths. Remember He wants you to be successful when it comes to teaching the children He entrusted to you. If you seek Him He will help you succeed in the things He wants the children He gave you to learn.

I know things can seem so overwhelming right now but trust me they are not as bad as you think they will be. If you are following what God has for you and your children you cannot help but be successful dear sister! If you have questions feel free to ask me for I wouldn't mind helping you find the right answers God has for you.

Don't worry so much on how you are going to do it because it just happens and when you are with your children you learn together throughout the day. When you bake you can teach them fractions in math, when your food grows mold on it in the fridge you can look at it through a microscope and learn about science. You will never be able to teach your children everything in life dear sister it is just not possible but if you give them the gift of how to find answers, how to learn, how to research when they have questions then they will have that skill for the rest of their life and they will spend their life learning as I love to do.

Look at you, you wanted to learn how to cook so you did. I agree we want to give our children a head start and not have them struggle like we have had to in life but teaching them how to learn and how to find answers will be their second greatest tool in life with the first being teaching them how to have a relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ. I hope all that makes sense!

You are going to do great Rebecca trust God to guide you as long as you stay focused on Him! You will be amazed at just how easy it will end up being!

Blessings to you
Brenda
by the way I moved my blog it is now on the homeschooling blogger. Link is below
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/HisWillingVessel
come visit me there if you wish and if you have time. I have been mentoring many women there and so I thought blogging there was more beneficial than the blogspot one. I don't think anybody misses me at blogspot anyway since nobody has wondered where I went to LOL. Talk soon. Have a blessed day Rebecca

Rebecca said...

Brenda~ Thank you for your comment. My husband and I agree that much teaching is through 'teachable experiences' throughout the day. We do also see the great benefit of specific study. Your words were an encouragement to me, as they often are.

I have been wondering what was wrong with your blog. I would check and the sidebar would show up but none of the posts. I didn't know how to get a hold of you to tell you since I couldn't post on your blog. I am glad to know that it wasn't something wrong with my computer and that you still ARE kickin'! I will check your new blog as soon as I get the chance... hope you are well!

Brenda said...

Rebecca
Yes I do know there are some formal things you will need to study as I mentioned. But like I mentioned also don't fret over them for they don't take long to teach at all being your student to teacher ratio is so very low compared to the school system. So remember that. What takes a school teacher all day to teach a group of children will not take you long to teach to a few children or even 10 children. It is a whole different world when you teach your children at home.

I am glad I was able to give you some comfort and encouragment. I know you will do great. You are a smart young lady and a great mom who wants the best for her children. I have no doubt you will be successful in giving them just that.

Yes all my new entries are now at the other blog. You may enjoy that blog site for yourself because it is geared alot towards homeschoolers and it may help give you ideas on homeschooling starting from now.

I do keep checking in on you even though I am no longer writing at the blogspot. How are you feeling with your pregnancy? Do you know yet what you are having? Do you want to know or will you wait to find out? If you find out please do share!

Have a blessed night
Blessings
Brenda

Regina said...

Rebecca, I've missed you! ((((hugs)))) I do have a blog, but it's on xanga, not here. I had to sign up to leave you a message. *ugh*

As for the books, I would call the library and request 2 books via interlibrary loan every 2 weeks. I would go get them on our library days, use them the following 2 weeks and then take them back. You only use one book per week, so it makes it very easy. :)

As for what's been going on with us, you can read my blog on xanga. It is http://www.xanga.com/Homeschoolmummyx3. There are pictures on there of the house after the fire. I "think" I posted pictures of our new house that we purchased and moved in to on the 30th of September by the grace of God. Let me just say that living in a camper for 6 months gave me a greater appreciation for my "creature comforts"...like my counters, my recliner/rocker and a ceiling that isn't 2.5 feet away from my face when I wake up in the morning. I am thankful that the Lord provided us with a roof over our heads, a place to lay our heads at night, warmth and food. I learned contentment in a way I never thought I would!

Blessings,
Regina