What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, January 30, 2006

A Sunday Scare

Monday's are usually shopping days for me, and today was no exception. Although~ I managed to squeeze in a doctor's apt. also. It was one crazy weekend-one that I am still recovering from. I wonder if shopping and going to the doctor office for a routine prenatal apt. was such a great idea. I am super-duper tired and will probably lay down here in a few minutes.

This weekend we had a suprise 50th birthday party for my Dad. We have been planning it for weeks, but I couldn't write about it just in case Dad checked my blog. It was a smashing success, I think, but it really took a lot out of me.

Friday Matt had off of work so he went to his 'rents house to work on some stuff and took Corynn with him so that I could work on a slideshow for my dad. I worked from sunup until sundown on that slideshow. Then, about 9:30pm I finished that and started on the food. I made a roaster oven full of ziti and some cupcakes. During that time, I had only one bowl of ramen noodles-oh so nutritious. I went to bed at midnight.

Saturday morning I woke up early to make a banner for the party, and to finish up last minute details, load the car of all the paper products and food stuff, and head out. We got there around 11:45 and worked like ants until 3:00 (when the party started) and beyond. Dad was really surprised and very happy, I think. There was PLENTY of food, MORE than enough (which is my fault because I expected more than double the amount of people who showed up-so I kept pushing MORE food...MORE FOOD! Oops.) Because I am so tall, the only pants I have are this weird length between normal pants and capri's....basically, high waters. I was embarrassed to be seen in them so I decided to wear a dress...and the only shoes that matched were my dress boots. Needless to say-I was in serious pain before the party had even started. Foolish me. Anyway-I have two pairs of pants that fit now and one that doesn't so I am going to cut the ones that don't and add length to the ones that do. Maybe then I will feel more comfortable wearing the pants that I have. That is a priority this week. I don't look or feel nice in the jeans that I have and that makes me sick. Back to the party: By the time the party was over-we still had to clean up the place and so we didn't get home until about 7:30/8:00. During that time, all I had was a meal at around 4:00. Not so great considering pregnant women are to have 3-5 small meals a day.

Sunday morning I woke up in pain. My feet were KILLING me all night long, and my belly felt so tender and sore. I almost didn't even want to go to church. But I did. Unfortunately. During the service I started having a hard time breathing, like an elephant was on my chest. I wrote Matt and little note and he was just like..."Well. Take deep breaths." A few minutes later I got real pale, started squirming a bit-then swaying. Then, it all went black. Matt threw Corynn at the people behind us and caught me as I went down. Thankfully, I was sitting so no harm came to me or my little Peanut on a fall. I had no control over my body and Matt says I was out for a few minutes. He says I was like a ragdoll-my head kept flopping everywhere. He was panicked ( especially since I had preecclampsia with my first pregnancy) and couldn't feel a pulse and couldn't see me breathe so he told a friend to call an ambulance. Soon after, I took a big breath and eventually came back around. I thought, since I had 'come to' inMatt's arms with my head in the crook of his neck, that no one had noticed (after all-it was all during the sermon when everyone was sitting...) but apparently, everyone saw everything. So, at first I was scared (because I had never passed out before) then I was embarrassed. My last thought before it all went black was-what if I have ecclampsia and they have to take the baby NOW? It was really scary. The ambulance came, I was checked out, and everything seemed okay. I am not sure what happened exactly, except that maybe my exhaustion and horrible diet (or lack thereof) this weekend finally caught up to me. Coincidentally, I had a routine doctor's apt. today and everything checked out. My blood pressure was actually LOW, so still no concern for precclampsia. My weight gain so far is 19 pounds. Not bad. Not bad at all.

I am not sure if the experience got to me or if I am just still recovering from a very busy weekend, but I am very exhausted and get weak easily. I am going to be taking it much easier in the next few weeks. I think Sunday's scare has both Matt and I more cautious.

Anyway-I am okay. Peanut is great. So-onward ho. I will write more interesting stuff some other time. Right now I need a nap. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4 comments:

Leah said...

Rebecca,

I'm so thankful to hear that you and Peanut are both doing well! I've been thinking of and praying for you ever since yesterday at church. I'm so glad that Matt was not alone when everything happened. I could see the deep love and concern on his face during the whole thing. Praise God for His protection!

Get some rest and try to take it easy! If Scott or I can do anything, PLEASE let us know! We would be more than happy to help you all in any way!

Love and prayers from our family to yours!

Anonymous said...

Oh Rebecca take it easy! I am praying for you dear friend! Make sure to eat and get some rest. I am so happy to hear that you are both okay though. Please pray for Lydia... she has a cough, runny nose and fever and Rich just ran her into the dr. since they had a last minute cancellation.
Jen

Michelle said...

Oh Rebecca! Dave came home and told me about what happened. I am sorry to hear of it, but very happy to hear that no harm came to you or the baby (or Corynn!).

You are absolutely right in thinking that not eating much and wearing yourself out is what made that happen (but I am sure you know that, I am not reprimanding you!! LOL) PLEASE take good care of yourself, rest lots, and EAT. Make yourself eat good things. I would often have to do that during this pregnancy because I'd be so busy with the boys. I would get a bit woozy and recall that I'd only had a little bit of food. My Braxton hicks would kick in, and I'd recall I only had maybe 1-2 glasses of water all day. Not good!

I am glad in all the hub-bub that you didn't make us something to eat... You had enough going on for 5 people, and you were trying to tackle it all yourself!!

Take care. We're thinking of you, and hope to come to church this Sunday.

Abigail said...

I agree that you need food and rest, so I've decided to send you 100 pounds of ramen noodles so that you don't have another fainting episode.
(I fainted at the hospital when I was about 6 months along with Millie b/c of low blood sugar, and I bet that if I'd had 100 pounds of ramen noodles to snack on, it never would have happened.)

In all seriousness, I am so very glad to hear that all checked out well at the doctor's and that your packed weekend is over so that you can take it easy. You and Peanut need the rest and nutrition that a slower pace allows. Take care of yourself, girl, or else I'll make good on my threat and mail you those noodles! :)

(And if only I could find a happy medium between one bowl of ramen for the day and where I'm at, I may not have beaten your present weight at four 1/2 months! Not bad...not bad at all...)