What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Flutter by dear butterfly

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."
- Louis Pasteur


Corynn and I had a unique opportunity to learn about butterflies this week as a lady from church gave us a monarch chrysalise. What a fun thing to observe the changes in the chrsalise until eventually, a beautiful butterfly emerged! What an amazing thing!!! I was enamored by the whole process-and took about fifty pictures to prove it! Yeah-I knew the whole caterpillar/butterfly process from my childhood education-but NOTHING teaches as well or creates an excitement or eagerness to learn than EXPERIENCING a thing to its fullest.

Unfortunately, we missed the actual emersion by seconds-we got to it just as the butterfly fell to the bottom of the bowl. Argh! I am hoping to get another one to catch the actual 'popping out' but we shall see. Now that I know WHERE to look to find them, it will be easier to do so. The caterpillar's will often weave themselves into a silken cocoon on the stem of a food source. And butterflies will often lay eggs on the stem of a caterpillars food source, as well. Always thinking ahead... :-) So-if you are ever around milkweed-check out the stems and under the leaves. You may find some chrysalises or better yet-a CATERPILLAR! I am hoping that at some point we can watch the ENTIRE process-including the caterpillar preparing for the pupal stage.

When the time eventually came, it was hard for Corynn to understand that we had to let it go. She really wanted to keep it as a pet. But now, it is fun, because every time she spies the familiar orange and black flutterings in the yard-she thinks it is hers and she runs joyfully over to it. I must admit, I find myself wondering if it is ours, too. Especially on the occasions that we are 'allowed' very near before it takes flight once again.

It's a magical thing. The magic of creation. The magic of beauty. The magic of life. The magic of being a witness to it all.

3 comments:

Leah said...

Scott's dad and lil' John were out in the cow pasture a week or so ago and found a Monarch caterpillar!!! They brought it home along with some milkweed and we're watching and waiting every day for it to form it's chrysalise!!! We are all excited about watching the whole process!

Rebecca said...

oh Leah! You guys are going to have SO MUCH FUN watching it! My friend tells me that the caterpillar looks like it blows up-it kind of turns inside out or something, when it forms the chrysalise! I can't imagine what it looks like when it does that! Just remember, when the chrysalise turns black-start carrying the bowl (or whatever) around with you. It takes just seconds for the butterfly to pop out of it's 'shell'. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh what a wonderful thing to get to watch! Thank you for sharing :-). I think it's to late here, but I'll keep my eye's open on the milkweed. I know my girls would love to watch this.