What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Killing the Fatted Calf



We have a tradition in our home. If you are the birthday King (or Queen) you get to request whatever dinner and dessert you would like. Birthdays are Feast Days, for us. While today is the ACTUAL birthday, Matt has a meeting to go to after work, with no telling how long it will last, so we had his birthday feast LAST night.

This year, Matt requested Veal Parmesan. I have never had veal before, much less made it so I was a bit nervous that I would botch up his birthday feast. I was even MORE nervous when I went to the store and saw the price of VEAL! OUCH! $13.99 a POUND?!? I have never paid that much for meat in my LIFE! So you see, we 'killed the fatted calf' in more ways than one, this year! The price hanging over my head made me even MORE nervous that I would botch it up.



He also requested bread and my dipping oil for an appetizer.



Despite my fears, I didn't spoil the dinner with my veal-ignorance. The veal was delicious...Matt audibly sighed about 15 times during dinner. He even used the word...brace yourselves...

OUTSTANDING.

Wow. Now THAT, my friends, says A LOT!

Incidentally, the recipe will be going on my recipe blog in case I ever need it again..which I won't because we can't afford it...unless he gets this crazy notion in his head EVERY birthday since, after all, a birthday King should eat like a birthday King...but I hope he doesn't...however it would be wise of me to start saving up now on that off chance...that really isn't THAT off of a chance...because he REALLY REALLY REALLY liked it.



Here's to you Mattie, and the 31 wonderful years the Lord has given you and all that you have accomplished in your life...all for His glory!

May there be MANY more to come!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Rebecca,

Your list was wonderful, and I could say each and every one of them about Verne, with the exception of the old-time crafting. Although, if her were ever introduced to any of those things, look out!

You table looked glorious! So beautiful, and the the meals sounds wonderful! And your cake? Beautiful! And yummy I'm sure!

I know that you are blessed to have Matt, and I know how you feel, because I feel the same way about my husband, But, he is blessed to have you, too! Your love for him shines through each day, and it makes me smile!

Kelli said...

What wonderful birthday posts, Rebecca! Happy Birthday, Matt!
Kelli

Abigail said...

Yum.

Forget the recipes. Just bring some over.