What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, February 18, 2008

Sailaway Home



I should pretend that the children and I made these sailboats for lunch with the intent to incorporate some great historical facts with the present holiday...but the cold hard truth is, I didn't realize today was President's Day until, well, this very moment. Seems I need a bit of work developing my "Homeschool Mama Sonar". ;-)

Corynn had my day planned out for me from the get-go, the little munchkin. As soon as her eyelids parted, she asked if we could make something in the kitchen.

The problem is...we were expecting company this morning (which ended up being a no-show) and Monday's are typically our grocery day. Needless to say, we are starting from BEHIND scratch as far as our pantry goes and didn't have many options. It really sort of stunk too-because rather than wait around for three hours for our company to arrive, we could have DONE our shopping today! Argh.

Anywho... call me a bad Mama, but I just didn't have the motivation to make fullfledged cookies today (even though I always make sure to keep us stockpiled on staples) so I opted for the easy (and interactive) chocolate bark.

The kids got to do some manual labor, they got to hit and smash things up, they sorted all the red M&M's, they practiced self-discipline by not popping into their mouth any non-red M&M (better than I would have done...)



Ouch!



Oh yes-and must update on the progress of the basement.

TA DA!!!



Working on it all weekend long, I finally finished the cleaning, sorting and organizing. I went through EVERY SINGLE BOX and actually whittled the boxes down to about a third of what they had been. When I first began, boxes were lining that WHOLE wall. Now, as can be seen in the photo, the MAMMOTH dollhouse is against the wall and the boxes all squeeze in a corner.

Since the basement serves also as a guest bedroom, we have a featherbed, and airmattress, pillows and blankets galore. Just last week they were piled on top of the already hideous boxes, creating a double eyesore. I didn't quite know WHAT I was going to do with them (I wanted to avoid ANYTHING that appeared messy) until I thought I would make a 'kid couch'. I just piled everything up in one big pile and then covered it with a blanket. Now, the kids are in HEAVEN. WHY? Because this couch is BOUNCE friendly. AND super soft.

All in all~ pretty happy.

Even MORE happy it is DONE.

;-)
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Jean Marie Bibby said...

Great job on the basement!
Want to come do my garage??? :-)

Terri said...

Wow! What a good job. :-)

Terri

Unknown said...

well done on the basement -- what a weekend you must have had! I often have great plans to tackle hot spots and end up having a lazy weekend instead.

Andie said...

Wow...great job on the basement! Wanna come help with mine? We've lived here for 4 years, and still have a ton of boxes that haven't been opened. Hubby keeps saying that if we havne't even opened them, we obviously don't need them! But...most of the ones that haven't been opened are my teaching stuff...I will be needing that again!
Blessings-Andie

Kris* said...

Hello, I thought I'd introduce myself a little. I love reading your blog and think you take amazing pictures.

I have just started a little blog of my own but theres not much to it yet. lol.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your day.

Abigail said...

Hurrah! What a relief! John's still working through a few boxes of papers and such. I stack them in a teetering tower in the closet when people visit. Sigh.

Oh, and I love Corynn's apron!

Rebecca said...

Kris~ welcome to my site! So glad you stop by! It is a great pleasure of mine when people come out of hiding to say hello!

Abby~ only you would have noticed that apron. I didn't even notice! :-)