What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, July 10, 2009

and more....



I read that if you plant pole beans by corn, the beans will use the corn as the poles~anchoring the corn in the ground and offering support for the beans.

I will never do that again.

The corn didn't grow fast enough for the beans and thus, I had to teepee the things, but now, the corn will likely be suffocated by bean teepee. Thankfully, a neighbor does really wonderful growing corn and sells it pretty cheap.

That experiment? Failed.



Radishes are growing great. Even though I hate them. I planted them only to deter bugs from the cukes. Maybe I will force myself to like them.



The one row of corn that may survive....planted JUST outside the teepee zone. Hello corn! I've tried to grow corn before and it has never worked, so this row is especially beautiful to me.



My first flowers from my cutting garden. The wildflower seeds didn't take (whaaaaaaa!) but the zinnias, cosmos and gladiolas are looking good!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Liana said...

believe it or not - I eat radishes sliced thinly on a peanut butter sandwhich. It not only takes the "hotness" away a bit - but also adds a crunch. Maybe you'd like them that way?

Els said...

Hi Rebecca, if your corn doesn't work, next time plant it in triangles. Because corn is wind-pollinated, the pollen will drift off into nowhere if you plant it in rows. At least, that is what I read somewhere. I am trying to test it, but it is so cold here and wet, that growth is very, very slow....