What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, May 16, 2008

The details:



It took quite a bit of work-We had to ax and dig horrid bushes and I pulled my fingers to the bone trying to rid the area of all its' weeds and grasses.
Then, Matt cut the dead tree off at the top per my request. I wanted the area to look tidy and alive-and that couldn't happen with dead branches going every which way; yet I wanted to utilize the tree trunk for climbing vines and hanging things from. Once it was done, I noticed that four trees were in nearly a perfect square position. It was then that I decided I would hang outdoor light from one tree to another, giving the area a sense of enclosure and the 'feel' of an outdoor room.



My Mandevilla plant is already creeping up the dead tree and I hung this pretty mosaic gazebo from the top of it. It can hold a candle OR birdseed.



We had our churchs' annual perennial exchange where I was able to replace some of my lost perennials from last year. I put some in pots and most in the ground. Next week I am going to take photos of each plant to document them so I remember the names of them all, and the individual needs of the plant. These will go in my nature notebook. Information with photos for reference will come in handy if ever we move. Trust me, I WILL be taking them with me.



This is the view from the driveway. The large tree adds tremendous privacy so I don't even see the construction workers when I sit out here and I don't feel the least bit awkward myself. We eat lunch on it every dry day and often snack as well. Only a few times have we been able to eat on it at dinner though, the weather still gets pretty chilly at night.

It really has become a haven for me.

It is my happy place.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Mrs. Pharris said...

I love your quiet place! I'll be working on mine later in the spring...though son got a 12' pool for his birthday, so I'm going to have to rethink its location, ha.

I'm thinking of doing some concrete pavers, but haven't made up my mind just yet.

Hope you're feeling well.

Terri said...

WOW!!!! What a transformation. You did an excellent job, Rebecca. I'm jealous and wish I had a spot like that :-).

Terri

Dana said...

Absolutley lovely!

Blessings--
Dana

Jean Marie Bibby said...

It's just beautiful!

Will you send me an email on you plant exchange? I think this would be wonderful for the ladies in our church to do! Is there a specific time when you should do it?

Charree said...

I really like your happy place. It seems so peaceful and quiet. I hope that you get a lot of good use out of it.

Have a great weekend!

Andie said...

This looks lovely! It looks so inviting that I just want to come over and join you for a lemonade! :o) Enjoy your retreat spot...so cleaver of you to create this wonderful peaceful spot in the midst of the chaos that is your home right now!!

Blessings-Andie

Grandma Bibby said...

You need to put the kiddos to bed, light the candles in there, and have a nice romantic dinner with Matt. What a memory that would be, if you ever move.

MamaBirdEmma said...

That is awesome! Seeing your pictures has renewed my drive to pretty up our screened in porch!

Bonnie said...

Lovely, as I knew it would be! Enjoy all you can!

Peggy said...

beautiful happy place!! you did a great job making it so special