What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Ignorance IS Bliss

My doctor's appointment on Monday went okay-basically because I was dumb at the time. The doc said I tested positive for Strep B, a bacteria that is harmful if the baby comes in contact with it. I didn't know anything about it, since I didn't HAVE it with Corynn. He was so nonchalant I just assumed it wasn't a big deal. Well, last night as I was packing a bookcase I came across one of my nursing books and like usual, wanted to read up on the goings-on. Well. I shouldn't have. Now I am freaking out.

Strep B is WAY more serious than I thought. There are two forms-early onset (that appears within hours of delivery) and late onset (that shows up within a week from delivery.) The early onset is most serious, even with IMMEDIATE treatment, 20% of all children DIE. It can cause gastrointestinal problems along with altering the functions of the heart, brain, spinal cord, and kidneys.

The late onset is less serious as many children SURVIVE. (What a relief.) BUT many often have neurological damage because the infection becomes meningitus.

Now-the book DID say, FORTUNATELY most children born with mothers with Strep B are not infected. And mothers who are given antibiotics before birth are nearly free and clear of concern. I am trying to focus on THAT but it is VERY hard, knowing what could POSSIBLY happen. I feel like I did something wrong and that if something DOES happen, it will be all my fault. I feel like I have put Peanut in jeopardy but don't know how I did it. I feel like I am totally responsible for this and I fear for my little guy.

I wish I wouldn't have even read up on it.

8 comments:

Abigail said...

We're on the computers simultaneously, I think. I tested positive for Strep B with Millie, and I had antibiotic i.v.'s for it with both Millie and Annika (thankfully not with Susannah, because i.v.'s are a nuisance).

Not to downplay the reality of the possible complications, but they are extremely rare (as you read), and as with any other aspect of His childrens' lives, God protects and permits. I will pray for your ease of mind, too, because it seems as if this may be a straw about to break your (skinny) camel's back that you don't need right now.

Testing positive for Strep B is fairly common and MOST definitely NOT your fault! Don't feel any guilt about it AT ALL!!!!! See, all caps and extra exclamation points. That means I'm serious! :)

We think of you and look forward to seeing your faces!

Anonymous said...

Knowledge really is power in this case.

I had a very rough pregnancy with the twins (back in '93 - I am old) One of them was in NICU on a ventilator with some sort of infection that they never identified. Fast forward to 2001 when I was preg again. The doc tested me right away for Step B and sure enough, I was positive. He reviewed my record from the twins (different doctor) and believes that I was most likely positive then too. (They didn't really know about it back then)

I took several rounds of antibiotics during the pregnancy and delivery and everything was fine. But I have often wondered if a simple dose of antibiotics would have prevented some of the trouble I had with the twins.

Be thankful for your knowledge, not fearful because of it!

Full of Grace said...

It's easy to do reading, to inform yourself of different situations, and then freak out because of what you've read- believe me, I speak from experience! When they diagnosed me with Gestational Diabetes, I to decided to read up on it. A few of the things mentioned were 10 and 11lb babies, a majority of women with it have to have a C-Section, that Diabetes could cause various disabilities in a baby, and possibly even death. It was really hard not to focus on what could happen*which I had some restless days and nights thinking about it, and that is why I tried to stay on my diet as best as I could, so that the things mentioned WOULDN'T happen.
Samuel was small at 7lbs 0oz and I gave birth "normally" He doesn't appear to have any disabilities and seems to be very healthy.
I'm not telling you to ignore the books- but I am telling you that they often give worst-case scenarios to inform a mother of what could happen, not necessarily what will happen.
We will be praying for you and Peanut (which we do often anyways) about this situation and I believe GOD will keep Peanut safe and sound so that when he arrives he will be healthy and strong :)

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, I test pos. for GBS when I had Lizzie so I was on IV antibiotics for her and for Nate. With Sam and Lydia I was negative. Try not to stress too much. It is nothing you can control having but it is totally controllable during your labor with antibiotics. Not the most ideal cirucumstances probably but try not to worry too much! Waiting on pins and needles to hear you have had this little guy and to find out his name! My cousin who was due the 7th of April had her baby early this morning! So you won't be far behind! ~Jen

Anonymous said...

As I was reading Abby's comment, I had to chuckle, because she wrote the same things I was thinking! Great sisters think alike! LOL I tested positive for Strep B with one of mine, and had to be on IV antibiotics also. Just be thankful they have tests for things like this now, so they can do PREVENTIVE meds! :-) And then, of course, our lives and what happens is in the Lord's hands, and it is best to leave them there instead of wasting our time and energy worrying. Easier said than done, of course! By the way, congrats on the news of the move--sounds exciting!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add my perspective to the mix. It is quite possible to reverse the results of a positive GBS test without antibioitc treatment!!! Just taking probiotics greatly reduces the GBS allowing the good bacteria to grow and crowding out the bad bacteria such as GBS. There is also a v*ginal wash that can be used every four hours during labor to prevent infection of the baby upon delivery. I'd definitely talk to your doctor about this option! I'd much rather do the wash every 4 hours than be hooked up to an IV throughout labor and delivery. I think there was a thread on CMOMB that mentioned the wash. I'll try to find it for you and give you some more details. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you have OPTIONS!!! That's always reassuring to me!

Emmakirst said...

Hi there, just found your blog from Babes in blogland.

I haven't even been tested yet for GBS and I'm 38 weeks. I am freaking too. Anyway, the antibiotics are good to help prevent any problems from it. Good luck with your baby and take care.

Unknown said...

Found your blog via Babies in Blogland too!

One of the girls in my childbirth class had Strep B... they put her on antibiotics when she was admitted and she and her baby are fine! Just thought I'd share :)