What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lions, Lambs, Zebras, and Wrens

Today is going to be a long day. It has been a LOOOOOOOOOONG week! Matt is still not fully recovered from being sick since Friday. Now it is in his throat and lungs. He has been sick for a long time. Now Corynn has a fever and sounds hoarse with a runny nose. First she was sick for several days, then Matt, and now Corynn again. I am desperately needing a break but can't get one. We are NEVER sick so it is taking a lot out of ALL of us. My throat is sore today also and I have a migraine but that is probably due to not getting any sleep at all tonight. Corynn and I talked about March coming in like a lion and out like a lamb and it helped me to see past all the horrible drudgery I have been feeling. Only a few more weeks and we will start to see more of the sun and we will be able to enjoy the fresh air much more. Right about now is when we all need a good dose of it!

Today Corynn and I are going to update her Monthly Bulletin board and I will plan a months' worth of activities for her to do. One change I am making in the bulletin board concept is to put a chatechism up and a bible verse. She is memorizing songs and things like crazy and now says the Lord's Prayer in unison rather than one step behind. She knows lots of colors and shapes. She is just taking in all sorts of knowledge. So I figure, if she can do it with colors, letters, and nursery rhymes, why shouldn't she be able to do it with the bible too?
For the month of March the theme will be In Like a Lion and Out like a Lamb. I will focus mainly on Easter and have activities related to that. I know Easter is in April but with the baby coming the week before (hopefully) I really want her to grasp the meaning of it all BEFORE hand. Besides, it is halfway through April so I would have to switch our focus halfway through and I don't feel like doing that. Instead I will have something low key for April. Maybe new birth. It all will correlate nicely. New flowers, fresh grass, a new baby, new birds, and new life in Christ. I asked her what she might like to learn about this month specifically and she asked for zebras. So-Zebra's will make their way in the plans too. If anyone is looking for cute ideas for young children, check out Hubbard's cupboards They have got some very cute ideas for children as young as 2 years old and up to school age.

Our dear friends John and Abby had their third child, Susannah Wren, and what a BEAUTIFUL girl she is! Congratulations to you guys and I so look forward to hearing ALL about it! The fact that John delivered the baby by himself in the hospital just cements in my mind the fact that you will be having a homebirth next time! I can't wait for all the details. She is so precious! See her sweet face and offer your congrats here: Trawlerman's Song

Finally, it seems the decision making processes we are going through are being drawn out longer than we thought. We are now shooting for the next two weeks, in which time we will HOPEFULLY be given all the variables and be able to make a decision accordingly. Each day last week I waited and waited to no avail. At least now I know not to wait each day but to just 'bide my time' for two weeks. It is really wearing on me. Waiting. Not knowing. Keeping Secrets. I hate all three of those things.

OKay-here comes the Mama in me. Non-parenting friends, just ignore. :-)

CORYNN~
* Corynn has 'upgraded' to going to the potty by herself. She was asking to pee about every five minutes and I got sick of it. So I put a stool by the potty and she does it all herself now. Besides using nearly a whole roll of toilet tissue in one day, she is doing just peachy. It is easier on me too. I don't have to be interrupted every five minutes, I don't have to bend over so much (which is getting ever more difficult to do), and well. It's just great.
* She can write several letters with purpose but has just recently begun switching her c's around. No matter how many times I correct her, she continues to flip them. I refuse to be a paranoid parent and think already about dyslexia...but, man! It is frustrating. Is this a normal thing to do when learning to write letters? And does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can correct the problem without discouraging her into not WANTING to write her letters. Right now she is loving it and gets so excited. I feel like correcting her each time will eventually turn her away. Just curious your thoughts, if any.

PEANUT~

* The baby dropped really low into my pelvis this past week. It has made it VERY difficult to sleep, walk, bend over, and even sit up. I have to kind of lay back with my legs out (oh so ladylike!) It is not very comfortable for me at all and I guess I am a bit interested too, because I am only 34 weeks. I thought the baby dropping was something that happened much closer to delivery. I don't remember feeling this way at all with Corynn-but I was induced at 37 weeks. I suppose it is possible the baby has just moved position and is getting so large now that he is taking up more room but I can't imagine it. I mean, sometimes I feel I have to hold my belly to keep Peanut from descending TOO far! :-) I am trying not to get my hopes up and convince myself this is a sign I will be going early.

*On Tuesday of next week is my last ultrasound. Hurrah! Our baby Peanut's final picture! I am very excited. Matt will be coming with me and of course, Corynn. I think it would be so neat to have a 3D ultrasound, but that won't happen. They look so cool though.

That's all for now. It is nap time and I am hoping to rest along with Corynn today, to make up for my lack of sleep last night. Maybe even get rid of this throbbing in my head.

5 comments:

Full of Grace said...

I'm sorry you guys are all sick! Not to be selfish, but I hope my guys don't get sick too, since they had fun hanging out at your house Tuesday!
It's exciting that Corynn is going potty by herself, it's another step at being potty trained :) I wouldn't worry too much about her C's right now. Her brain probably isn't registering the difference yet since she is so young. I would let her keep doing her C's the way she's doing them (exploring the alphabet is a wonderful thing, and she will learn in time) I would however, keep on taking her hand and practicing the proper way to write C's- I'm sure she'll get it in time!

I can't wait to see your new ultrasound pictures of Peanut!!!! I also can't wait to hear about it- that was my FAVORITE thing about pregnancy, other than feeling Samuel move! :)

I hope you get your break soon, before you feel like breaking~~ and I hope your throat feels better too!

Rebecca said...

I was hoping so too but at least I warned you! I tried to keep Corynn away from him, so he will probably be fine.... I hope. :-)

When you come over tomorrow, the childrens' room won't be done because Matt said I should wait to paint the dresser until I sand the polyurithane off of it-which requires sanding equiptment. I will borrow some from Gary and Linda this weekend. I have to say, the weather didn't really cooperate with it anyway!

I love ultrasound pictures too-they are my favorite. I think I prefer WATCHING my belly move versus feeling the baby move. ALthough-they kind of go hand in hand, wouldn't you say?!?!

I look forward to our date tomorrow!

flacius1551 said...

I can't see how a child who is interested in letters and writing at age 2 would be dyslexic. (grin)

Anonymous said...

Look for a package early next week! Sorry it's taken me so long but with Lydia getting sick and me not getting out much I haven't been able to send it. I am tucking a few suprises in there too for you and Corynn! Let me know when you get it.
Jennifer

Brenda said...

Rebecca
It is very normal for children to write their letters and numbers backwards especially one that young. I have read, been told and have experienced from my own children that they will write letters and numbers backwards up through the age of 8-9 it is actually normal up until that age. All my children are not dyslexic and they all wrote some of their letters and numbers backwards even though I corrected them over and over. So no need to worry she will get it eventually. My words of advice are don't make too big of a deal out of it or it becomes undue stress on them especially at such a young age. Relax lovingly correct her then let it go she will get it with time.
Blessings
Brenda