What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, March 30, 2007

Oh, How Gladly I will do so!


Our natural reason looks at marriage and turns up its nose and says, "Alas! Must I rock the baby? Wash its diapers? Make its bed? Smell its stench? Stay up nights with it? Take care of it when it cries? Heal its rashes and sores? And on top of that care of my spouse, provide labor at my trade, take care of this and take care of that?...

What then does the Christian faith say to this? It opens its eyes, looks upon all these insignificant, distasteful, and despised duties in the spirit, and is aware that they are all adorned with divine approval as with the costliest gold and jewels. It says, "O God, I confess I am not worthy to rock that babe or wash it's diapers, or to be entrusted with the care of a child and its mother. How is it that I without any merit have come to this distinction of being certain that I am serving thy creature and thy most precious will?
Oh, how gladly I will do so."

~Martin Luther
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Christine said...

What a beautiful quote, which is just so true. Raising our children is such a true blessing; it really causes us to grow in the process. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

We are blessed indeed! Motherhood is the most wonderful honor God has given me. What a beautiful quote, thanks for sharing it with us.
Have a great weekend.
Victoria =)

Carmichael Family said...

Oh, so true, and what a great reminder...