What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Spiced Peach Butter


4-41/2 pounds peaches (about 18 medium)
4 cups sugar
1/4 t. each of ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon


Wash and blanch peaches. Put peaches in cold water;peel, pit and slice peaches.

Combine peaches and 1/2 c. water in a large saucepot. Simmer until peaches are soft. Puree in a food processor, food mill, or blender being careful not to liquify. Measure 2 quarts peach pulp.

Combine peach pulp and sugar and spices in a large saucepot. Cook until thick enough to round up in a spoon. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust caps and process for 10 minutes in boiling water canner.

To make butter WITHOUT spices-just exclude.

This recipe is adapted from the Ball Blue Book of Canning.

*This was my first time making peach butter so I underestimated the cooking time. It is more like a peach compote/jam. It needed to cook much longer to make the consistency I like. To make my apple butter, which turned out perfectly, I used my roaster oven-and cooked the applesauce down for HOURS. I will try that next year with peach butter too.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Thank you so much! I am going to keep visiting your blog for more tips and recipes. I love the picture, better said the smile of the baby cook. It's so adorable! I smile back when I saw it! LOL!!!

Rebecca said...

I hope you do come back-and often! :-) Funny-Corynn has the same affect on me! :-)