What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Putting my hands in a bit of everything right now


I have been extremely thankful the past few weeks to have a space of my own to work, unapologetically making messes and LEAVING them until the next time I return. I have been so motivated to work on new things, knowing I wouldn't have to clear the table off and pack up before supper!!!

Right now my craft room is in a total uproar, with projects thrown this way and that, all at different stages in completion. It is exciting to have my hands in a bit of everything right now. Perhaps because I know the time I can devote to crafty things is whittling away as the days pass. Soon enough I will set aside the busyness of my 'inside joys' to work on my 'outside joys'.

Here is a rundown of some of my projects and some updates on their progress:

* Remember the afghan I am making for Mattie? Well, I had only 3 skeins of yarn that I purchased LONG ago-which is not NEARLY enough to finish the job. Yesterday, I found the same color and bought LOTS...and a few dark blues to make strips with perhaps, or an outline. Not sure. It is nearly four times the size of this photograph.

* I finally began a poncho for Corynn! I had to change the yarn to more spring-ish colors... The dark fallish colors just weren't fitting for spring. I will save them for later and maybe make one from those lovely colors for fall. The new color scheme includes buttercup and lavender-one of my favorite combinations!

I started it last night and if I work on it as long tonight-I can get it done! Wa-hoo! If I have extra yarn, I may make a small one with matching yarn for Corynn's doll. My friend Nancy has been sewing handmade dresses for the American Girl dolls to sell, and she does such a fabulous job that she has inspired me to make a few things for my Little Miss and her doll. Of course, hers is just her Christmas DOLL, not American girl-but just as precious to Corynn.

*Well...er, I have to make another BLUE bootie to match my singleton but that is on hold until the poncho is complete.

*A breadcloth...yeah. THAT has the pieces cut...and that is IT. Thankfully, I have a few more days!

And two SUPER-DE-DUPER Confidential and HIGHLY secretive projects...

One using a certain crochet hook and the other, partners in crime with the sewing macine.

As the weather warms I was feeling a mite-bit guilty since I hadn't completed a VERY important annual winter task. That is, to tackle the mending pile. I always have to do that in winter (and often once in summer, too!) and I had not yet done it. well, I can now officially say GOOD RIDDANCE, Old Man Winter! Yesterday I did some serious and some not-so-serious mending to half a dozen garments. NICE!

Oh yes-and I nearly forgot! The fabric above I purchased at Surplus City. Any guesses what I might create from it? These fabrics are being lovingly set aside to make myself an apron that goes around the shoulders instead of the neck. I am thinking something vintage-looking. The neck straps give me migraines. I know. Weird. But...won't it be just LOVELY?!?

If I don't manage to screw it up, that is! ;-)

Oh-and the biggest, bestest project of all is the preparation's for my Panda's birthday. He is going to be ONE YEAR OLD on April 2nd...just a few short days away. I decided it only fitting to make him a Panda cake. Now-just to figure out how! ;-)

The little stinkpot has not yet said "Mama" so I am seriously considering withholding all birthday presents from him. The little buggar deserves it...
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh, a panda cake sounds SO cute! I LOVE the fabric and I enjoyed hearing about all the projects you are working on. It really helps to have a space of your own!!
Kelli

Christine said...

Your little guy is so cute... he is probably just waiting to say mama to tease you. Happy (almost) birthday to him!
So are you going to make an Edwardian style apron? They are so beautiful, practical, and feminine. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, I can hardly believe your little guy will be one so soon!!! Time sure does fly by!

I absolutely LOVE the fabric you bought!!! And I agree with Christine, it would look beautiful as an Edwardian apron! You can find a wonderful pattern for an Edwardian apron at www.sensibility.com. I've gotten a few of their patterns myself including the apron one. I just need to get busy cutting and sewing!

Rebecca said...

Kelli-I never have had a craft room before and I am terrified that now that I know how wonderful it is, I am gonna loose it! That would be so sad!

Christine-youknow, I have thought of that myself. He is just waiting to tease me. I wouldn't doubt it, what with him saying Dutchie (our dog's name!). I am not sure what an Edwardian apron is...

Leah-HEY-perfect! I wasn't sure what an Edwardian apron was. Thank s for the link...I will go there to see if it is something I am looking for.

Sometimes Joann Fabrics has an all-patterns are $1.00 sale, so I have been waitinf for that...but there aren't any that really POP out at me either. Thanks for the link. When you get to sewing those things-be sure to post a picture, I would LOVE to see the finished products!

Heather K said...

Your little guy is adorable! We also have a "Panda" in our house... I never thought to make a panda cake though. Her birthday is on April 3rd, but she is turning 12 and has informed me that she does NOT want to be called Panda anymore! So I guess that great idea came a year or two late!! (C:
Heather

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE that fabric!!! It is scrumptious! I want some! LOL If I saw that fabric, I would be sorely tempted to snatch some up, too. Sounds like you are doing good with your hands in all the projects--keep up the great work, and post pics as you finish!

Rebecca said...

Heather~ REALLY?!? You have a Panda too?? I thought that was a 'me'-thing. That is so neat! I wonder if Andrew will even make it as long as your Panda did...I guess I should enjoy it while it lasts...

Rebecca~ Oh-you know I will. Half the fun of all the work is showing it off! I fell in love with the fabric...and I am really sort of hoping there is enough left to do something else with. It is such a great combination!