What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, June 23, 2011

A not-so-nicely photographed dress.


I whipped up a little crochet dress the other day using a bit of cotton yarn and a remnant of fabric from my scrap basket.

I just had an urge.


I thought crocheting a yoke and incorporating fabric as the skirt of the dress might add a cute, almost-modern flair to an old-fashioned favorite.

I love the colors in the yarn, but worked in this way, the stripes seemed unusual and disorderly to my very symmetrical eye.


Perhaps a border on bottom would have helped? Or maybe a rosette of some sort on the bodice?

I put a button closure on back but then thought maybe the button looks cute as a front? I can't decide which I like better.


I was lazy and didn't change my macro lens so I didn't get a single good shot of the whole dress. Laziness, be gone!

As critical as I was of it (above) it is a super cute dress. I think a pattern on the fabric would also be nice but I had nothing that remotely worked.

I think my next dress will be a crocheted yoke in cotton yarn similar to this and have the skirt of the dress crocheted in a solid, coordinating color. Because it was FUN to do.

Oh-and can I just take a minute to vent??? WHY is it that people never make cute crochet patterns for bigger children? I mean, golly. I am not smart enough to figure out how to make a newborn size pattern fit a 7 year old, or even a three year old but surely I can't be the ONLY ONE who would be interested in that. Am I?

ugh.

13 comments:

Bonnie said...

Darling!, and I think a flower in whatever the dominating color is would help draw your eye away from the variegated yarn.
So cute!

Jody said...

I like the button in the front! ;)

Unknown said...

So sweet! I also like the button on the front! :)

Paula said...

That's lovely!

I subscribe to a knitting magazine here in the UK that, as luck would have it, featured a dress with a crochet bodice in this issue. It's not as nice as yours, it is more of a sundress with a crochet bodice attached to a fabric skirt. It also has a crochet pocket and has crochet flowers for the straps and round the raised waistline. It's quite pretty and the pattern is from 6 months to 8 years. If it sounds like something you'd like, I'd be happy to scan it and send it to you if you are interested.

Best regards,
Paula

Regina said...

I love it, Rebecca! Its adorable! And, no, you're not alone in wanting to find cute, adorable hand made clothes for your sweeties.

Rebecca said...

I think it sounds right up my alley Paula! Thank you! My email address is sgrbear724@yahoo.com. Email me if/when you get a chance! Thanks again!

Full of Grace said...

What a GORGEOUS dress Rebecca..I can't stop drooling!!! :) You are amazing, do you know that?!?! I think so! :)

Leah said...

Rebecca, you're inspiring me. I want to make a little crochet apron to go over some little cotton summer dresses for Daisy. And that dress you made is adorable, BTW. :)

Abigail said...

Ooh, I love these colors! And the button is perfect.

I'll have to root around upstairs. I know before our last move I HAD a crochet book with a few larger patterns. I was saving it for that NeverDay when I learn to crochet more than my 8 year-old does.

Paula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paula said...

Hi Rebecca,

I emailed you that pattern on Friday. Just wanted to check and see if you got it okay.

Best regards,
Paula

Jean Marie Bibby said...

Rebecca- Do you have a pattern for this? Collar and dress? I am cleaning out my material box and would like to make this as a top for the girls this summer.

Rebecca said...

Jean- the pattern was here:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-girl-sleeper-set---dress

I just followed the instructions for the collar/sleeve part and not the body part. I think that is a BRILLIANT idea- to make shirts from them instead of dresses! I might even steal it! ;-)