What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Early birds

Now that company has left to return home, I have a minute to update. It's funny-even when the most low-key company comes, by the time they leave, I still need to relax. Just my nature I suppose. Linda was super easy though-would you believe she even brought SUPPER for the first night that she was here? And no-it wasn't pizza. It was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, rolls and ice cream for dessert! Amazing.

While Linda (my MIL) was here, I tried to keep us busy all the time so that she wouldn't be bored. SOOOO~ I came up with the brilliant idea to get our Christmas tree. This is the earliest we have ever put up our tree so I am pretty sure by the time Christmas is over it may just be naked branches. At least this year we are prepared-we got a tree bag and actually USED IT! (We have had one since we have been married but then forgot to use it-and then every year after, we have forgotten about it and bought another one...sheesh.)

There wasn't enough room in the car for me to go help pick out the tree, so I stayed home and prepped the room; moving furniture around, unpacking the Christmas boxes, and getting supper on. You can tell I wasn't there though-because Matt could use some help in the tree picking department. In our cathedral ceiling living room stands a short and stubby six-foot tree. hehehe. I try to only look at it when I am sitting down, otherwise I will be staring down the angel! :-) I am so thankful FOR it though and I keep reminding myself that just a few days ago I didn't think we would have one this year at all.

So-again, there is much to be thankful for. Which seems (to me) to be a running theme from Thanksgiving to the New Year. Soon after Thanksgiving is over, Christmas moves in and with it-our lives become more brilliant with shimmer, glitter and shine EVERYWHERE. Candy everywhere. Gifts everywhere. Jolly people everywhere. Smiles everywhere. The fact that our homes are decorated is something to be thankful for (for decorations-even homemade-cost money. The fact that we HAVE homes. The fact that we can sip hot cocoa and listen to music. The fact that there might be a few gifts under the tree. And I often here of people who are in need on the radio (or know them) and that should make us even more conscious of our many blessings.

Yes, it is a good time of year for everyone-but how much MORE magical it is for believers. I mean-what more 'magical' miraculous event can be celebrated than a Child being born to a virgin. That alone is a miracle. Then add to that the perfectness of such a child and the willingness to take upon himself our sins. To perfect an imperfect heart, to wash away a heart blackened with sin. Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles.

I have run out of time after this typing tangent but there are pictures aplenty heading Renaissances' way when tomorrow comes. And for some hints to the future glimpes: Christmas trees, gigundo bears, jousting, trains and nailclipping. How's that for a combination?

Until then...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Thank you for mentioning the "reason for the season!" So often, many of us forget the TRUE reason we celebrate Christmas! Can't wait to see pictures of your new tree, we just put ours up yesterday and we let Amelia put the star on it (kind of). What's wrong with little Andrew?

He & Amelia were both born in April, I found your blog through the baby blogorama and have been hooked! I love your writing style, your enthusiasm for your family & Christ, and your lifestyle- it's so different from mine but we are similar in many ways as well. I am really looking forward to the day that Amelia will be a big sister, hopefully as enthusiastic as Coryn!

Rebecca said...

I have never heard of baby blogorama nor do I remember signing up for it-but I am glad that I was on there so you could find me! :-) Yes-it turns out (from your profile) that Amelia is just a few days younger than Andrew. He was born on April 2nd. I was looking through your blog and gushing over all the cutie pie pictures of your little girl and was amazed at how advanced she is. Of course, EVERY BABY develops at their own pace-but she says Mama?!?! I am JEALOUS! :-)

As far as Andrew goes, I have no clue. He had a fever yesterday and he has been so miserable-but that is it as far as symptoms. Time will tell I suppose, but I think he may be on the mend. I HOPE! :-)

Thank you so much for all your kind words. Ihope to get to know you more in the future (and watch Amelia grow in the process!)