What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

'Trinn' Anecdote

Well-last night was the biggest, bestest Autumn Festival ever. Of course, it wasn't CALLED that-because to be called a Halloween Party may be anti-Christian. hehehe I think that is so funny. But regardless of the name, it was a blast. I only regret not bringing my camera. I totally downplayed it in my mind. The church who hosted it was HUGE. One of the biggest I have seen. Membership numbers at 500!!! Wow. And they must have spent a TON of money to host this thing.

There were about 150 kids in attendance. And you know what was SOOO funny? All the three-five year old girls were in princess constumes!!! It was a RIOT!! Games and prizes galore, a HUGE bouncy (that could bounce 10 -15 kids at a time!), face painting, polaroid pictures, a band, and free food. Made fresh Kettle Corn, baked goods, chips and pretzels, lemonade and hotdogs, marshmellows roasted over the bonfire; all for free! Oh, and lest we forget-the HALLWAY OF TREATS need mentioning. Boxes and BOXES of treats lightened with each handful put in bags. Corynn got a LOT of candy!

As I type this, Corynn is sitting beside me 'organizing' her candy. Counting it, sorting it and matching duplicates, and making tootsie roll families-the bitty ones being the children the big fat one the Papa and the longer one the Mama. I wonder if I could count this as homeschooling?!?!

Anyway-all this candy talk leads me to Corynn's very first made-forever-through-writing clever conversation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Corynn: "Mama, can I just LOOK at my candy. I just want to see it-I won't open any."

Mama: "Sure Corynn, as long as you don't open them."

She grabs her bags and sits down to sort. A few minutes pass...

Corynn: "Mama, can my MOUTH see the candy?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a huge church here that normally does a Harvest Fest the Saturday before the 31st that is just like the one you describe. For some reason this year they didn't do it which was really dissapointing. They have it outdoors and all these cars line up on their upper field and they have a "trunk or treat" and the kids get candy. I hope they will do it again next year because we really have enjoyed it in the past.
Jen

Full of Grace said...

I laughed at your "Trinn Anecdote" , how funny, what comes out of the mouths' of babes :)

It sounds like you had a wonderful time- I am envious (but in a christian sort of way) just kidding, envy of anytype is far from christian, but at least it sounded good :)

Wendy said...

Sounds like a really fun time!! Did you mention if Andrew "dressed" in a costume?

Rebecca said...

Jen~Trunk or Treat-that is clever! Although, you can't really show off your costumes that way!

Libby~Did you (and the kids) enjoy the corn field maze? Get any pictures of the kids in their costumes...I would LOVE to see it!

Wendy~Andrew stayed with the 'guys'. Matt and Dave. I didn't have a costume this year since the only infant I have ever needed one for was the year you loaned me the chili pepper! :-) We didn't think we were going to do anything so I didn't bother 'brewing' anything up for him. Next year though, is the return of the FUNKY CHICKEN!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh Rebecca this is a huge festival like the one you describe. They have the moon bounces, a costume judging at the end with really big prizes like new bikes, free cotton candy, pony rides,hot chocolate, hot dogs, door prizes for the parents (with gift cert. to places like Outback, Olive Garden, Walmart, etc...). We spend hours wandering around talking to people we know and showing off costumes. It's all supposed to be positive theme costumes although occassionally you will see one that has snuck in that is borderline. Sorry I wasn't clear about that in my last comment. The trunk or treat is just one part of the entire evening so the kids can get candy. ~Jen

Els said...

My mouoth starts watering from all those candy stories (and the indian corn we brought, is almost gone!)

Abigail said...

Sounds like a fantasy!

Candy, games, bounces, costumes, candy, candy, candy, candy...

I loved T'rinn's "just looking" solution. She's got a sharp mind!

smilnsigh said...

You posted: "Of course, it wasn't CALLED that-because to be called a Halloween Party may be anti-Christian. hehehe I think that is so funny."

Oh my Dear, so do I think it is funny.

Carmichael Family said...

Corynn is just too cute! I laughed so hard when I read her sweet little conversation about the candy. Children are so innocent and so clever.