What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, September 11, 2006

Words, Words, Words

I can’t BELIEVE it has been a week since I last posted! THAT isn’t like me! :-) I have been SO ridiculously busy lately-it is insane. I was left with very little time to do anything extra-and that meant computer time. :-( So much to tell!!!!!

The sun awarded us with warmth this week and so I made frequent trips to the garage (where the washing machine is), to the clothesline, to the bedrooms and then back to the garage in a feeble attempt to vanquish that dirty laundry monster. I am still not caught up-but I am at the mercy of the weather since we haven’t yet been able to get the dryer fixed. I tried to get 3-4 loads done a day and I got a lot done. But laundry is something that ALWAYS piles up-especially when you have company, so the piles have replaced themselves once again. Today is a ‘sprinkly’ day so I guess I get the day off from laundry duty. I am hoping Matt will hang a line in the basement as a last resort. I STILL can’t do any of my sewing though-since the fabric has not been pre-shrunk.

Matt’s parents came out for the weekend so I had to red up the house for that (I hadn’t even cleaned from the birthday party so it was a job!) and the kitchen was BRIMMING with garden goodness…from my garden and the Amish gardens down the road. I got ½ bushel of peaches, tomatoes and some cucumbers from them. Oh-and they had gorgeous hot peppers (about 7 inches long) priced 10 for 1.00. I got 30. Produce is not something that can sit FOREVER-so that was a priority too. Especially the peaches. We had a clan of fruit flies sitting leisurely at their white-clothed dinner tables, ringing for their supper before I had even bought those peaches! As it so often does, when it rains it pours.

I was able to make salsa (my VERY own recipe-well, a little bit of this a little bit of that…I didn’t write it down because frankly, I thought it might be kind of gross. Now that Matt tells me it is DELICIOUS-I feel kind of bad I won’t be able to recreate it.) Among the other treasures: jardenieri, brandied peaches, vanilla peach syrup, pinapple topping, honey-spice orange slices, zucchini relish, and spaghetti sauce.

This weeks canning to-do:
Salsa
Chili sauce
Taco Sauce
Bread and Butter Pickles
Garlic Dill Pickles
SOMETHING with hot peppers
And ONE MORE batch of zucchini relish (I LOVE IT SO!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week is the local fair-and tomorrow is the drop off for entries. I am going to look around to see if there is anything around here I can enter. And maybe bake something for it. I would like to enter some canned goods. We’ll see how much I have time for. I have a BAD habit of biting off more than I can chew….

1 comment:

Abigail said...

chew, chew, chew.

if you're busy with that crazy list, the next time we hear from you may be a month from now...