What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Here and There



It is BLACK as night here and it is mid-morning. The rain is just a pouring down. More springy than fallish but who's complaining? That just makes me focus on inside tasks...
.......................................like blogging. hehehe

At dusk, my daily ritual is to turn on my stained glass lamp in the big window. Sort of like a lighthouse beacon. I want it to be a beacon to our home. I guess today it can be on ALL day! :-)


Hoooo-wee. This is going to be an interesting week-and next week even more so. This weekend we are meeting my sister in Williamsport (our half-way point) and then the children and I will be riding up with her to spend the week visiting my family in New York. An extended visit.
The following weekend, Matt will drive up and join us to celebrate at Oma and Opa’s anniversary dinner and then we will all come home. This will be the LONGEST time away from Matt that we have ever endured-the longest thus far being two nights on a business trip. And the thing is-it is VOLUNTARY! No business trip is requiring us to be apart, it is just an opportunity for me to have a good sit down visit with my family.
Our past visits are always hurried and cramped-and often with the Newman side, so it is needed. But nights will be ever so long and I will miss him so terribly. I will sob like a lunatic when we part, I just know it.


Of course, I might be loony by then ANYWAY, because preparations for such an extended time away are not few! Among the chores…

~Make and can applesauce, apple butter, and (possibly) pumpkin butter

~Pack clothes and everything else needed for a week.

~Do laundry

~Stock freezer with meals for Matt (so far I have…pizza, meatloaf, browned ground beef for tacos or spaghetti, and beef stew. Although-he assures me if I stock up on Lucky Charms he would be happy…)

~Write A ‘Remember’ list for Matt.

~Make some sheets for Corynn to do while away and a practice Memory Verse card.

~Pack up some crafty stuff and a book to wittle away my lonesome nights.


…And I am not sure what all else. As it gets closer HOPEFULLY I will figure it all out. This is a HUGE deal as I have NEVER packed up children for so long a time. I have no idea how many diapers to pack…


So I wrote about applesauce on my to-do list. I made it to Way Fruit Farm this weekend for some apples and asked about prices.

The ‘good’ apples were $15.00 a bushel (those are prime…)
‘Seconds’ are apples that were picked from the ground. Most LOOK prime and taste prime but you get a better deal on them. These are apples that you have to request because they don’t advertise. These apples in a
specific variety were $12.00 a bushel
And then there were what they called ‘Deer apples’ which were ‘seconds’ but were all the different apple varieties mixed up. They were $4.00 a bushel.


Can you guess which one I got?!?!?

I was so pleased to get three bushels of apples for the price I expected to pay for ONE. The Amish roadside stand offered me a bushel of apples for $19.00!!! Sheesh! Thank goodness I looked around. Now it is just a matter of getting motivated to get to making applesauce and butter. I think I will make ALL of these into applesauce and butters because of our trip this weekend and next week. Perhaps I will go back to get a bushel more for pies and such when I have time to devote to more finicky recipes.
And who knows? If Matt gets that cider press made, we may go back for quite a few more bushels to make cider. We will see about that though. It seems to me a more problematic process than to Matt.

And for those who wouldn't know right off...

Three ways you know your house is CO-OLD…


*Baby goes to bed with a onesie, long johns, and a blanket sleeper, socks and MITTENS. (I am saving the hat for REAL winter.)

*You start baking bread in the oven instead of the bread machine. (Actually, it was SO cold, I made cheese and beer bread, cinnamon rolls and a batch of soft pretzels. Those pretzels were GOOD-especially with the honey mustard dip I made or dipped in cinnamon sugar. I was trying to think of the other dips that Auntie Anne Pretzels offers with THEIRS but couldn’t think of any to reproduce except cheese. Anyone know? ) My favorite were the scrumptious cinnamon rolls though!

*You haven’t turned the heat on but it turns on anyway because it must heat the house to the start of the thermostat, which is 35.


That about sums up news on this home front.

BTW~ The children and I will be staying at my parents house who have wireless internet. So, I will be living with internet luxury for a week-so don’t think you will be rid of me!!! :-) In fact, no doubt, I will be blogging MORE to get my mind off of…well, things. Els~I will get to feel 1/6th of what you just recently felt. I wonder if I am as strong as you….

13 comments:

Mandie said...

I have high speed envy. :(

Anonymous said...

Just a quick idea for the pretzel dips ... melt one cube of butter, 1 TBS Vanilla, 6 TBS buttermilk & add powdered sugar until desired thickness....this is especially good on ones that have cin/sugar mixture on them...Also this makes a FABULOUS... cin roll icing! YUM!
p.s. Did I say FABULOUS??

Have a great trip
Victoria

Leah said...

Rebecca,

Woo hoo!!!! I'm so glad you'll be making a trip to NY!!! You may be here for the birth of our baby!!!!! That is if he/she does not arrive sooner!!! It would be so neat to have you meet our newest addition in person!!! We are just 3 days away from the baby's EDD!!! Can you tell I'm excited?!?!

I just finished canning 3 bushels of apples into sauce last Tuesday. We got 50 quarts!!! I'm still debating on getting more to make into apple butter and pie filling.

Your pretzels sound delicious! Would you be willing to share your recipe?

smilnsigh said...

"At dusk, my daily ritual is to turn on my stained glass lamp in the big window."

A lovely ritual. I'd love to see a picture of it... Shining out through your window.

Kelli said...

Your trip to visit your family sounds like it will be so much fun! I remember trying to figure out how many diapers to pack! LOL I always guessed wrong and ended up buying more wherever we were! Good luck with your to-do list. Homemade applesauce sounds so good!
Kelli

Rebecca said...

Thanks Victoria-I never thought about making an icing for it. I checked out the Auntie Anne's in our local Walmart and discovered they have caramel dipping sauce, jalapeno, and nacho cheese. I guess I have all sorts of options now! :-)

Leah~I was thinking the SAME thing. I know that you always come to church soon after the baby is born so you would be the one I COULD see the new one with. I am so anxious! I only hope it is either or and that you are not at home in labor-because then I will miss a visit with you-AGAIN!

I will get the pretzel recipe together sometime this week for you.

SMILNSIGH~THAT is something I can do for you. And a new challenge! ;-)

Kelli~The fact that there are stores nearby DOES add comfort. I won't be stranded, no matter what! :-)

Regina said...

Your baking day sounds scrumptous!

I know that when I had to leave my family 3 years ago when my mom was really sick, I missed my hubby terribly. Fortunately, though, my brother let me use his cell phone and my sister let me chat on her computer with my hubby. It was a lonely time for me. I couldn't take anyone with me due to $$. Anyway...understanding being lonely for your honey. ((((hugs))))

I hope you're able to see Leah's baby while you're there! That would be so awesome!

Have s wonderful day!

Blessings,
Regina

Abigail said...

Hip, hip! I hope there's time in your packed week (because although it's an extended visit, it'll still be packed) for us to get together! I've been adding a few things here and there to a pile of things to mail to Corynn, but I'll hold off in hopes that we can give it to you in person. That way, you're not stuck with anything you don't want or can't use, and I don't have to pay a visit to the P.O.

Either way, I owe you a letter... Once the weather forces us inside, I'll sit down with a pen.

Abigail said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Full of Grace said...

Even though I'm at the end of the comments (I guess you are a really popular person- 10 comments in one day!) I just wanted to say I'm very excited that you are coming out and looking forward to spending a little time with you too (even though I know that you will be trying to fit so many people in to see that our time together for the most part will be shared) See you on Saturday :)

Rebecca said...

Mrs. Bonnie~I wouldn't mind-if only he had told me that BEFORE I readied meals up! He could have saved me a bit of work! :-)

Regina~Matt will be calling me a lot (if not, he is a dead man!) and I have a few surprises up my sleeve to help him through it. It will be really hard for me though. This afternoon at bible study no one really understood because they all have husbands whose jobs require frequent trips. I am glad I am not the only sappy love struck wife around...

Abby~I hope so too. In fact, you were one of the great appeals for staying a week. Since I am at the discretion of my drivers-Wednesay my mom and I are heading to Ithaca to meet my sister. Is there anyway we could get together then as I will already be in Owego. Perhaps Leah, Elizabeth and Michelle can come as well so I can spend some visiting just like the olden days. If it is too inconvenient me throwing myself(and all our friends) on you, we could all meet at the church. I really would like to see you all though. If there is any chance, let me know so I can ask Michelle and Leah too.

BTW~About the letter thing, you have NO idea. I apologize in advance. :-/

Elizabeth~I am HARDLY popular. Notice that I am a frequent contributor to my comments section...

Thank you for yours-I am equally excited. Shared time is one of the reasons I am looking forward to spending Saturday night with you guys. Thank you for opening up your home to my homeless children and I!

Abigail said...

Sure thing! I was going to suggest it myself, but I didn't want to make you feel an obligation because I know how packed homeward visits are. Just let me know what would be the best time for you. And, of course, I'll prepare some sweets for us to munch while we all visit.

Hurrah!
Sweets!
Uh...I mean....
Hurrah!
Friends!

I received a note this afternoon, and I wanted to write back immediately. How's that for an impact! :) If I sent a letter tomorrow, it wouldn't reach you before you're up here, though. It will be good to talk.

Anonymous said...

I will be married 13 years in January. We have 7 and 10 year old girls. I sooooo feel your pain. Except, that first night, I'm excited to hop in the bed and leave my reading light on all night...not being woke up by snoring, or trying to find the blankets. The second night, I miss him dearly. I can't sleep without the rythm of his snoring (weird huh!, or because I have all the blankets and am smoldering hot! I can't read without my mind wondering off worrying if he is ok.

Every year he goes on a week fishing trip with his friends and their sons. (No girls allowed) It reminds me each year of how much I would hate being without him.

I'm a sap even after all these years. Hope I'm the same way at 5o years!!
Angi