What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, October 30, 2006

Home again, Home again

Though I lack the jiggity jig.

In truth, it has been an exhausting week. I was here, there and every where-but that is not what exhausted me. I was tired MENTALLY and emotionally as I was in New York. Corynn needed constant attention because she decided that what other children do, she can do-even though she knows those are not our rules. She became whiney, she was not nearly as obedient as she is at home, she even began to argue with me! All things that she just DOESN’T do here. I was on her all the time, but it didn’t matter. I realize she was pushing her limits and testing but it just makes me so angry. It is like all the previous training is thrown out the window and I must start again. Why is it that BAD behaviors are so quick to be adopted and good behaviors take such work?!?! Ugh! This is retraining week-with NO exceptions. I can only HOPE it will be done in a week…

Also while we were gone, Andrew became sick. Very sick. So much so that I started having him sleep with me because I was afraid for him. He has a terrible cough that is only just starting to loosen up. Two nights ago was the WORST. We spent the night at a hotel after the anniversary party and I was literally-awake all night. At 1am Andrew awoke and was a basket case. Only when I nursed AND juggled him at the same time, was he happy. If either of those things stopped-he screamed. Eventually, at 3am I couldn’t take it anymore and even those two things didn’t comfort him. So I threw some clothes on and headed out. And from that moment until 7:30, I could be seen walking the halls barefooted or sitting in the lounge. By morning, all the staff felt so bad for me. I was a walking zombie. A random kind guest came out and gave me infant Tylenol for Andrew and within minutes he appeared to feel better. Much less lethargic and he even smiled! But-that was at 7:30-after all hope was lost for sleep.

And then of course…being away from Matt was terrible. It is amazing how obvious a gift love is in its absence. The mailman and I were in cahoots. I had arranged that a love note be ‘delivered’ each day of the week for Matt and in return for such a favor, he got some apple butter. So-while Matt was getting love notes daily, I was all by my lonesome and it didn’t take long for the sweatshirt I packed to lose his scent. Funny how women NEED romantic things but are always the ones behind them-not receiving them. Well, not REALLY funny. More like-absurd.

Lots happened while I was away and even more pictures were taken. So many, in fact, that I had to burn a cd with them to clear the camera for anniversary party pictures. And then, the cd was left at Mom and Dads. Those photos will have to come later, I suppose.

For now, here are more than a few photos from my grandparents’ 60th wedding anniversary. It was a wonderful time and I imagine, very touching for them. All of their children were in attendance, and each had traveled quite a distance. In fact, all of their grand children and great grandchildren were there as well excluding one granddaughter. It was amazing for me-it must have been so emotional for Oma and Opa to look about the room and see your legacy before you. To see God’s gifts before your eyes, His grace upon your family, His promises revealed, His tender loving care. Such a life they have both lived. Such a gift they have been given. It was a celebration of their love and their life but more so, a celebration of God’s love bestowed upon them.

So-there is a short update and NATURALLY a fair amount of photos. Hope everyone is well and I look forward to catching up on everyone’s blogs in the next few days. Though I did have access to wireless, I didn’t have access to much TIME! :-}

4 comments:

Full of Grace said...

I was disappointed to hear that you left from the hotel (selfish me, I got to see you off and on all week, and that still wasn't enough) but could fully understand! We had a rough night also, all of the kids had a hard time settling down for sleep, and once they were, it was hard for me because it felt as though we were sleeping on padded cardboard boxes!

Then we forgot about the change in time, and left the hotel at a little after 8 am, when we could have been relaxing :P

It was good to see you, and I hope that your retraining is speedy! I know it won't take so long to get Corynn back on track because you are so consistent with her, I'm sure the problem with her behavior last week was partly due to inconsistency (on what she visually saw happening around her) and of course a change in environment doesn't help either!

I hope Andrew is feeling better SOON! :)

It was wonderful seeing you and spending time with you and now I must stop writing, since I'm starting to write you a book! :)

Els said...

Dear Rebecca, first I want to say, thanks for the beautiful pictures!! It certainly shows that both your opa and oma were enjoying the grand party! How nice it must have been to meet again with all your family, because there must have been some from Holland that you hadn't met for ages.

And I'm sure Corynn will soon be allright again, since she doesn't see the other kids and what they are allowed, AND she would rather have peace with you, since you are constantly around.

And now that you are back, take a nap when the kids do, so that you can regain your energy, and handle both kids with more patience. (Now mind you, this is what I always tell myself when I'm tired, but , stupid enough I hardly ever practise it; when I do, I now it works wonders!)

And don't forget to put Tylenol in your suitcase next time you travel. You can count on kids being unwell when you are travelling. (should have told you this before, but it didn't dawn on me that time; practise will teach you though!)

And now, just enjoy being home, enjoy the sweet memories, enjoy Matt's company!

Mandie said...

Isn't it wonderful to be in your own home? Isn't it uncanny how bizzarely our lives mimic one another- we were at a hotel this past weekend and guess what- David didn't sleep very well at all. He was so congested the while time! It was awful, but if I had known that my twin was her baby at that exact same moment, I may have handled it better than just crying out of exhaustion. We're back as of today and I will post pictures on my blog soon.

Abigail said...

Corynn behaved well during your visit here! I suppose having the television covered with a brown throw blanket is a good thing, eh? Vacations are hard times to rigidly enforce rules that are rarely questioned at home. It sounds like you struck a fine (though exhausting) balance, and now, sweet relief, you're home again!

And now, to catch up on those pictures below...