What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, December 22, 2006

Christmas Letter and my wish for you



While 2006 has offered certain hardships for our family, at the very same time and even more importantly, it has been brimful of laughter, love, and new beginnings.

In the spring of this year, Matt caught wind of a tremendous opportunity to position himself for owning a large dairy farm through transitional farming.
While the position was three hours away and caused us to uproot ourselves, it was too good to be true and thus, on the wings of anticipation we flew.

About that same time, joy was born anew with the birth of our second child; first son, Andrew Leigh. Only a few weeks after birth and a few days after baptism, we packed up and shipped out.
Destination: the golden fields of Tyrone, PA.

Soon enough though, it was made clear that indeed, the plan WAS too good to be true and we were faced with some serious decisions. The Lord was gracious and merciful to us in this time of weakness, abounding in love as only He can do. Matt began to look for other work and before he could blink an eye, a new opportunity had arisen. There is great comfort in finding work while still employed (and out of desperations’ grasp). It helps too, when said work meets other more inconsequential expectations…the frosting is often the best part of the cake, after all.

The new job is just five miles down the road, working for a 2200 cow dairy farm…Yes! That is Twenty Two HUNDRED cows! His job will be focusing on parlor and reproduction management as well as overall cow health and he will be starting work about the time you will be reading this card! We fervently pray that this job will be a good match for him and are excited at the prospects.

Meanwhile~ the children are sprouting and my hands grow more nimble by the day!

Corynn delights us with her endless expressions-both audible and non. There is nothing so sweet as her random hugs and declared “I love you so’s”.
She is so eager for knowledge; my only problem now is keeping up!

The boy who was a fleck just months ago has become a flame, lighting our lives each day with his open-mouthed grins and insatiable curiosity. His affections never wane and I never tire of reciprocating.

So, while the whole ‘job thing’ has been just what we expected...an adventure… One thing is for sure, we have been blessed beyond measure with the truest things of God.

Someone once said:

What is home?
“A roof to keep out the rain? Four walls to keep out the wind? Floors to keep out the cold? Yes, but home is more than that. It is the laugh of a baby, the song of a mother, the strength of a father, warmth of loving hearts, lights from happy eyes, kindness, loyalty, and comradeship. Home is first school and first church for young ones, where they learn what is right, what is good, and what is kind, where they go for comfort when they are hurt or sick; where joy is shared and sorrow eased; where fathers and mothers are respected and loved, where children are wanted; where the simplest food is good enough for kings because it is earned; where money is not as important as loving-kindness; where even the tea kettle sings from happiness. That is home. God bless it!”

And He
has.

May each of you, our dear friends, be blessed in this coming year with the essence of a true home and might you realize to whom be the glory and honor. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That quote "What is a home" is precious..thank you for sharing that. I am going to read that to my family on Christmas Eve... Rebecca, I don't even "really" know you, but I feel as if I do because of your blog & I find myself looking forward to reading it each day because no matter how my day went, it makes me feel happy. You truly exude joy in your writings/pictures and that is infectious. Thank you for that. May you & your sweet family have a wonderful Christmas...
Victoria =)

Kelli said...

What a wonderful, heartwarming Christmas letter, Rebecca!
Wishing you and your family and Blessed and Merry Christmas!
Kelli

Rebecca said...

Victoria~ I have to say...thank you so much for what you wrote to me. I hopped on here just a few minutes before we left for the weekend and I must say, your words stuck with me all weekend long and every time I thought about them, it made me smile-inside and out. You gave me a wonderful Christmas gift that I will treasure. Thank YOU!

smilnsigh said...

Dear Rebecca,
I apologize for not seeing comments [to my Blog] until now. I must check at warrrmmm@yahoo.com, more often.

As to your question... Oh my Dear, I don't have advice, on how you would do this, in your family. But before anything is said/done, you need to find out if your husband wants to spend Chrismas in your own home, with his wife and children, as much as you do.
If so, then you could figure out, together, how/when to gently 'break the news' to them.

Or maybe, when you and your husband discuss this, you'll find it's not such a priority with him. And this will change all the dynamics.

Hugs,
'MN'

Carmichael Family said...

What a great letter...you always write so well and did great capturing the highlights of your year. I would post our Christmas letter on my blog...if, that is, we had written one this year...ah well, maybe next year.