Six years my senior, the day my husband was born, the Lord's plan for my life (even as I was yet unborn) was a glimmer turned crying babe. Just two odd pounds, the greatness of his being was not in the wee-ness of himself but in the greatness of God's plan for his life. This day thirty years later, he has been brother, son, lover, father, elder, deacon, friend, teacher, poet, farmer, reformer, mentor, and life changer. He has accomplished so much in his life already; what great feats, I wonder, are in store for the next thirty years?
In honor of My Love's birthday, I think a bit of gushing is in order...one for each year of his life, though my heart is brimful.
1. the way the side of your mouth curves up ever so slightly when you tell me you love me.
2. the glimmer of your dark chocolate eyes
3. how hard you work for your family, never a complaint on your lips.
4. that you call me sugarbear instead of Rebecca
5. how much you love your children.
6. how understanding you are when I have spent an entire day reading a book, when there were real tasks that needed to be done.
7. your love of outdoors
8. your thick, strong man hands.
9. when you pray aloud
10. that you can make beauty by building and creating
11. that you share with me ALL of your thoughts.
12. your gentle leading so that I might understand scripture in a way I am not entirely comfortable with.
13. you challenging me to defend my beliefs
14. car rides when you reach over and rub the back of my neck
15. when you smell my neck and say I smell good even though I am not wearing any perfume.
16. When you deal with Corynn's naughtiness with caring and sweetness.
17. your hopes and dreams
18. waking up curled in your arms each morning and falling asleep holding you each night.
19. when you sneak a wink in every now and again
20. that your jokes crack me up every time
21. your determination
22. how handsome you look in a hat
23. your love of reading
24. your appreciation of my hobbies, enthusiasm and compliments on the end results.
25. your constant assurances that I am beautiful, even when that is the last thing I feel-like every day.
26. when we read scripture together as a family.
27. when you dance with me in the kitchen
28. when you thank me for making dinner and tell me it is good.
29. your belly pats on the kids
30. your devotion
What a great gift the Lord gave to the world, to all of us, when He gave us you. Happy Birthday, Darling.