What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, February 09, 2007

A-Z Homemaking




Here we go...I usually don't like these "meme" things...but this one is my ONE exception! I figured it would be perfectly suited with this photo from my bed cleaning today.

Aprons - Y/N? If yes, what is your favorite kind? Yes~Often. I am not a 'wear an apron all day long' kind of gal, but I sport one whenever I have a major project going on in the kitchen! My favorite kind is not yet in my posession. I am looking for the kind that goes over your shoulders and down the back-sort of vintagy. Anyone know of any resource places? Believe it or not, the strap behind my neck actually makes it hurt! Weird, huh?

Baking - Favorite thing to bake: Desserts, of course. I also LOVE to bake bread, though that is, ironically, less often! :-)

Clothesline - Y/N? YES!! Both indoors and out (though admittedly, after getting my dryer, I have not used the inside one all that much!)

Donuts - Have you ever made them? Yes..a few times. Mine were not as good as the ones you get in the store...of course, I don't have a fryer so they were baked instead.

Every day - One homemaking thing you do every day: Only ONE? Make the bed (s)!

Freezer - Do you have a separate deep freeze? Ummm.does that mean chest freezer? If so, yes I do-as of a few months ago! And I LOVE IT!

Garbage Disposal - Y/N? No-and I have the envy, too!

Handbook - What is your favorite homemaking resource? This will be a funny one but-the internet. If I need to know about it, I can usually find it! I also like the books Home Comforts and Keeping Home.

Ironing - Love it or Hate it? Love it because I rarely do it. :-)

Junk Drawer - Y/N? No. Junk desk? Yes. Unfortunatly. I can hardly ever keep that kitchen desk clean anymore!

Kitchen - Color and decorating scheme? Well, we rent so our kitchen has beautiful dark wood cabinets with old fashioned knobs and handles. As for the things INSIDE the kitchen, this is my Dutch area, where I keep my Delft dishes in here as well as my beloved Dutch tiles.

Love -What is your favorite part of homemaking? Charm. Candles burning and some music playing in the background (daily). Feeling comfortable in my home and knowing that I made it that way with little touches here and there.

Mop - Y/N? Yes, though not as often as I should...

Nylons - Wash by hand or in the washing machine? Dear me...the washing machine-and I don't even own one of those dainties bags...they are on their own!

Oven - Do you use the window or open the door to check? Open the door-none of my stove lights have EVER worked properly...I wonder if it is me?!?!

Pizza - What do you put on yours? On SPECIAL occasions-chicken spiedies. I LOVE onion on pizza too.

Quiet - What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment? Depends on the day and what project I am in the middle of. Most likely: Post on my blog, look through a recipe book, or pick up my crochet.

Recipe card box - Y/N? What does it look like? Yes, I have one. It is huge and has very few cards in it...they lay flat instead of sit upright. I also have, (much fuller) 3 ring binders that I have written recipes I have seen, printed off the internet, or taped ones I have cut from magazines. That seems to work better for me.

Style of house - What is the style of your house? Right now-it is a brick split level. But since we rent and since that is up in the air, I will talk about my DREAM house. A big old farmhouse in the country (with a few Victorian accents for flair), with a huge wrap around porch. I will paint it purple-not a BRIGHT purple but an elegant lavendar with maroon and white accents.

Tablecloths and napkins - Y/N? Always in the dining room. The children have placemats to set on top of the tablecloths for informal dining. The kitchen is just a glass table, so I keep it plain, usually with a runner on it.

Under the kitchen sink - Organized or toxic wasteland? Both. It is organized in a toxic-wastland kind of way! ;-) I throw my recycle-ables down there so when it gets full-it is no longer organized. But when it is not, the soap is all neatly lined up and so forth.

Vacuum - How many times per week? 1-2 times a week or more for company.

Wash - How many loads of laundry do you do per week? Hmmm...I guess I never really counted a weeks worth. This is a stab in the dark but I would say 5. Maybe. I don't know!

X's - Do you keep a list of things to do that you cross off? Oh yes. I love to see my checks to see all that I have accomplished. It helps keep me on track too!

Yard - Y/N? Who does what? Matt burns brush and mows, I do everything else, like gardening, pots, watering, etc.

Zzz's - What is your last homemaking task before going to bed? Going to the childrens' room to snuggle them in once more, whispering "I love you darling" on each forehead. While this is not a 'chore' I do think it makes a home, right? On occasion, it will even cause the sleepy one to smile in their sleep. That is the best part and that is what makes my home so lovely to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

why have u not posted today?

Rebecca said...

I usually don't post on weekends, we are usually too busy and I try to enjoy my time with Matt when I have it. Occasionally, if Matt works that weekend, I will post but not regularly. Thank you for stopping by so often that you miss me...that makes me feel good. I would skip the weekends and just go for the days of the week, though, if you want a fresh post when you come! :-)

Morgan said...

The picture on my blog of my girls with their new aprons is a pattern that is also for adults if you are interested.

Abigail said...

I love this picture. So clean and bright.