What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio



We just finished watching a fabulous movie called The Prize Winner of Defiance, OHIO

It is based on a TRUE story about Evelyn Ryan; a wife, homemaker and mother of ten children, who basically supported her family inside the home by winning contests for advertising jingles. This, despite an alchoholic husband. I appreciated that they portrayed the family as close-knit and the children as obedient. (The most recent movies about large families with children have been portrayed with BRATS as kids and "siblings" as parents...) Perhaps it reflects a GOOD family because the movie is based on the memoir, written by Evelyn's daughter.

It was truly fantastic. Not 'fantastic' in the way that you laugh every few minutes and leave feeling chipper and flighty. In fact, for most of the movie, Matt and I sported looks of disbelief and disdain at the antics of her husband. Fantastic, in the feeling of awe of how great this woman was... How wise. How kind. How patient. How caring. How forgiving. How hopeful. How COMMITTED this woman was!!! Yes. She was a great woman, Evelyn.

I think every married person should watch this film-for two reasons. 1) Because it will show you how GOOD you have it. 2) Because life is not ALWAYS peaches and cream. There are struggles in marriage, some VERY difficult ones and yet it is possible to stay together. It is a CHOICE. You can be discontent with your life or you can embrace the moments with thankfulness and happiness.

I have such a happy and blessed marriage and because of this, I can't imagine anything else. It is EASY to find joy in a life that I have. But what if I had a loser for a husband? What if my husband was practically schizophrenic-the man who loves and the man who drinks? Would I STILL find joy? Would I still reflect hope?

I am not a strong woman. I am sure that I would have broken if I were Evelyn. I never would have made it. I would have moped about, feeling bitterness and resentment. In all truth, I do that for simple things...


It is not a new movie, it was made in 2005 (but hey, we haven't gone to the theatre since before Corynn was born!) but if I ever find it for sale, I am going to buy because I WANT this movie in my "library". Even just as something to aspire to. You should see it.

And if you hate it...leave a comment and let the world know. But, I know you will love it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for pointing out that staying in a marriage is a choice. So many things in life are, but we tend to make the wrong ones. You would stay in and find joy in a marriage like Evelyn's too. God would give you the grace as you need it, but I am so thankful that you don't have to make that choice. We just need to be so thankful for the husbands we are given by the Lord. Rejoice each day!!!!

Anonymous said...

You would've stayed especially for the children & found joy in them and the blessings they bring. You would've stayed and made the best of it...I'm sure of it. Make no mistake, you are a strong woman...I know you only through this blog...but I can tell. Like you said, marriage is a choice and when we lose sight of God as our #1 focus then things crumble. I am so thankful for my husband & I know you are too! =) I'm looking forward to seeing that movie...Have a great day!
Victoria =)

Paula said...

I think we always feel the same way - that we could never do it. But then something happens that we thought we could never survive, and God gives us the grace and strength to survive and do it gracefully.

I have not heard of this movie before, but our library has it! Amazingly there are 69 people in front of me who have it on hold! Good thing I guess. But it means a wait for me.

As for sales on DVD's, there are two sites we really like. half.com (you can put your price on there of what you want to pay, and should someone put it up for sale at that price, it automatically purchases it for you). We also like deepdiscountdvd.com. And also amazon.com sometimes has GREAT used prices!!!

Thanks for the movie recommendation. In today's day and age, it is hard to find good movies.

Anonymous said...

That sounds very interesting!! Also, we live maybe an hour or so from Defiance, Oh! :) I'll have to check our library.

Rebecca said...

I have SO far to go...thankfully, I can learn slow and steady and am not forced head on to learn hard lessons. God is Good!

Tammy~that is CRAZY! Puts a real twist on movies-being right next door practically! :-)

moi said...

Rebecca,
My son picked your name out for my HeArt Giveaway!!! Congratulations. Please let me have your details so I can mail it out in time for Valentine's day. Thank you so much for visiting.
Tina

Anonymous said...

I have a question. I believe she was a strong woman...but what about the woman who does decide to leave her husband becuz of the true detriment it DOES do to her and the children? Is she no longer godly and Strong? should a woman stay in an abusive marriage just becuz she needs to be "submissive" and be a doormat? Sometimes Children are better off in the long run and the parents can be better parents apart if the parents do seperate..is this not true?

Rebecca said...

Dear Anonymous~ I am not saying that all wives should stay with all husbands in every instance.

There are times when a seperation is necessary for the good (safety) of all involved.

All I am saying is that in this INSTANCE, this woman's strength and determination to make things work were admirable and she blessed many people-her husband, her children, and HERSELF (and people like me who need examples like this to learn from) in the process. She was never portrayed as a doormat. She was a smart one and knew how to handle his antics.

Anonymous said...

You havent posted today! miss ur posts! do you have an easy simple cheesecake recipe you could post?

Carrie J said...

I saw this movie and enjoyed it very much. She was an extremely strong woman who loved her children and they loved her very much. I didn't get the same feeling as you though about the marriage. They were Catholic and divorce was not an option for her. I felt that she just made the best she could out of the situation and that the story was that of a survivor. It is interesting how different messages we can get out of the same movie.

Anonymous said...

Not everyone has a choice, sometimes that choice is made by one spouse and you are left with no other option than to let them walk away. I admire your optimism, but you are so very young.
I must touch upon subjects you have written in the past; Even then most holy of lives can change in an instant. Divorce, seperation, infidelity, wayword children can all happen to anyone. To put ourselves above this reality is looking through rose-colored glasses and ignoring the daily commitment we must have. It is for no man to judge another in this world, from behavior, religion, lifestyle... Far too many people judge others when lives are seemingly in disaray. The misfortune of others does not point to a lack of faith or closeness with God. God often tests theose who have insermountable strength. There are those that truely have to weather a storm in their lives, whereas other sail through life in calm waters.

Rebecca said...

Carrie-great! I am glad I am not the only one who enjoyed it!

Anonymous~the only one I was 'judging' in my movie review was the main character and her good qualities. And yes-I DO like to look at life optimistically, but you can be realistic and optimistic at the same time.

I AM young but I can't change that fact just yet. :-) The Bible, however, is very clear on the acceptable/allowable forms of divorce/seperation (as well as misfortune, etc.) and my age is of no consequence to God's Word.

I meant this 'review' only to encourage people to watch a GOOD film, one that builds you up and is a GOOD example to follow. (not many movies are like that nowadays...)

I talked up the main character for what SHE did in her circumstance. I did NOT mean for this movie review to become offensive or judgemental in any way. If it was, I apologize.

Carrie J said...

I wouldn't apologize if I were you. I don't see anything wrong with what you wrote. I enjoyed the review and was, like you, glad to see someone else who liked the movie.