What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, July 09, 2007

*BAM!*-

I thought about not writing about this. In fact, I decided I wasn't going to. And yet-here I am about to tell all about my glorious night last night.

I went to bed. Ah, sweet sleep! It didn't take long before I was zonkered, one arm hanging off the side of the bed, the same with my leg. The stretched out I was, the better. It was so HOT!

But at 11:47, I woke up with INTENSE pains in my abdomen. YOWZA! I ran to the bathroom and sat,well, in the ONLY sitting area of a bathroom. Oh, the pain! It was killing me! I was squeezing my belly-as if that would help-and watching the nightlight in anguish. I thought, "okay. If you have to throw up-the garbage can is right there." That is the last thing I remember before I woke up, disoriented on the floor.

My head was tingling in pain. I didn't know where I was, how I got there, or how LONG I had been there. Eventually I figured out it was the floor.

I sat back up on the John (not John, THE John) and realized again the intense pain in my belly. Then-DUH-it hit me. I had passed out. My whole body was shaking. My forehead had broken my fall on the bathroom linoleum. As it was all becoming clear to me, I felt a wave wash over me again, blurring my mind, and knew that if I passed out again, I might not wake up. I knew I had to DO something. So I got up and turned on the light.

Now, up until this point, I had remained fairly calm-that is, for a woman in a post-football tackle, zombie state. Then I saw my face in the mirror.

HORROR OF HORRORS. I was pale as a sheet. Or worse. That REALLY freaked me out. That is when I knew things were NOT so hot and I had to DO something. So, I did what any freaked out person would do.

"MATTIE! MATTIE" I screamed. Nothing. I think I called his name four times. And then I screamed "COME HERE!" That must have been it because he came running at that point.

I started washing my face with freezing cold water, trying desperately to push aside the possibility of fainting again. I knew I had to stay awake and I knew just what I had to do.

I knew it was a faint possibilty, it has been outlined clearly in small print. I just didn't know it could happen to me. But it did.

I began to feel better, slowly but surely, after things had been taken care of. I went back to bed. Matt was still wide awake and he held me. Maybe he felt what I had, maybe he had been thinking about the 'could have beens' too.

Eventually I heard him fall asleep but it wasn't until about 3:30 in the morning that I finally dozed. Up until that point, my mind had wandered, my heart had prayed, and my head had pounded.

It was a bad night. But a good night. The Lord had opened my eyes to the fact that with morning light came a gift. Another day to hold my babies was a treasure. To realize the overwhelming sweetness of gentle arms around me at night, once more.

Now, mother hens out there-you needn't worry. I knew what the problem was, I knew how to fix it, and I am now feeling almost entirely myself again (lacking sleep, but still...) I am fine. I am better than fine now. The Lord thought it a good time to remind me of my gifts, when I was being quite ungrateful, if I do say so myself.

My heart got some healing. Now for that banged up forehead and knee....well, that might take a week or so.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Full of Grace said...

I am ever so thankful you are okay!!! Sending Love Your Way- Your Sis :)

Anonymous said...

What is wrong?

Anonymous said...

Glad that you are ok! Sometimes a scare can make us count our blessings and realize just how great our life/family is! I hope that all will continue to go well.
I have a five year old who is in love with hats as well. We just finished Little House in the Big Woods and she has been Laura for days. She wears her sunbonnet around the house and her staw hat for when we go out and do errands. It is great to see another little girl in hats! Blessings, Gretchen

Anonymous said...

This happened to me twice...years apart,and it turned out to be pancreatitis.If that is it,it can be dangerous-see a doctor!
Mine was caused by my gallbladder.
Sooo painful,and scary too!
Bless You~Carol

Christine said...

Oh Rebecca, I am so sorry that you went through that. It must have been so scary.Praying for you!

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

Sounds like a very scary night. I'm glad that you knew what to do. (((hugs))) I hope your "ouchies" heal quickly.

Kelli said...

Oh, Rebecca, that sounds like such a scary night, how awful to keep fainting over and over again! I'm glad that you know what the problem is and you are feeling better. Sending prayers and ((gentle)) hugs.
Kelli

Paula said...

Rebecca! You know better than to NOT tell us what is was!!! We are AL FREAKING OUT over this! We want to know what it was and what to do (in case it ever happens to us!)! I am so glad you are OK. Praying for you anyways. :)

Lori said...

Sorry to hear that you were so sick and fainted.
I hope you are feeling better. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mandie said...

I did leave a comment last night, and I guess it didn't show up...

Anyway I only said how concerned I was for you and how I need to live closer to keep an eye on you.

Also, as an aside, I think its hilarious that I've also wanted one of those large Ball glass canning drink dispensers! Funny how we are still SO much alike!

Gena said...

I am so glad you're feeling better. I hope you have a wonderful, peaceful day loving on your kiddles and your hubby. Take care of yourself.

betsy said...

My goodness, dear Rebecca, what a scare, I am so glad to hear you are okay! Keeping you in my prayers,
Betsy